Checks in End Grain

jsaltzy

Greetings - I am having a lot of problems with a lot of checks showing up in my oak end grain cutting boards. The checks show up approx. 20 min after I cut the end grain pieces. They continue to happen for hours after. If I leave the pieces overnite which I sometimes have to do, the checks become very large! Is there anyway that I can eliminate these checks altogether?? Any topical formula, procedure, etc?

Was the wood properly dried before it was cut?

I'm wondering the same thing.

Also, how big are these pieces you're cutting? Could be you're dealing with wood still adjusting to your shop and cutting end grain pieces that are too short, making them fragile and susceptible to cracks like you describe.

I'm wondering the same thing.

Also, how big are these pieces you're cutting? Could be you're dealing with wood still adjusting to your shop and cutting end grain pieces that are too short, making them fragile and susceptible to cracks like you describe.

FYI .. my wood source is wine barrel staves. The pieces I'm cutting are approx 2" long (2" is the last end grain cut & the height of my cutting board). However, the checks also appear at the ends of much longer pieces approx. 15" long.

How long does wood take to adjust to a new environment? Thanks

I am working with wine barrel staves. Wine barrel staves are dried outdoors for years before they are constructed into barrels. Any thoughts?

My only other thought is what Adam said too. Maybe there was a dramatic shift in humidity before and after glue-up, our maybe it was in/on some moisture like in Marc Spag's "Cutting Board Disaster"

Jonathan

==================================================

FYI .. my wood source is wine barrel staves. The pieces I'm cutting are approx 2" long (2" is the last end grain cut & the height of my cutting board). However, the checks also appear at the ends of much longer pieces approx. 15" long.

How long does wood take to adjust to a new environment? Thanks

No matter my source for wood, I store it in the shop for at least 4-6 weeks before doing anything to it. This ensures that it acclimates to the rise and fall of humidity within the environment it's going to be milled.

Also, don't forget that these were at one time, holding wine for years at a time. Moisture was only absorbed on one side. So, it's escaping through the ends very rapidly. I'd let them sit forseveral months before cutting them again.

No matter my source for wood, I store it in the shop for at least 4-6 weeks before doing anything to it. This ensures that it acclimates to the rise and fall of humidity within the environment it's going to be milled.

Also, don't forget that these were at one time, holding wine for years at a time. Moisture was only absorbed on one side. So, it's escaping through the ends very rapidly. I'd let them sit forseveral months before cutting them again.

Thanks for all the suggestions. It seems to me that I need to let the wood acclimate longer than I have been. I'll give it a try and see what happens!

Does it matter what the humidity & temperature is or does the wood just need to adjust to the humidity & temperature that it is going to be milled at? The reason I ask this is that I was not getting checks during the winter when it was wetter out. Just a thought ...

How long since these barrels held wine? The reason they are allowed to dry outside for three years is deliberately done so that once filled with wine they will immediately take up the liquid, expand into their metal belts and seal any possible leaky joints. They will remain swollen for probably a year or up to eighteen months after being emptied for the last time. That usually means they will settle to the EMC in which they are stored. If this was outside they will need bringing in and storing for several months before they will be dry enough. Any shakes or distortions should then be apparent before you do anything, and bad ones be discarded. It sounds as though your staves are still too wet. Try a few random moisture readings, anything more than 15% will cause trouble in Oak.

Pete

• 1 month later...

Great suggestion, thanks Pete!

How long since these barrels held wine? The reason they are allowed to dry outside for three years is deliberately done so that once filled with wine they will immediately take up the liquid, expand into their metal belts and seal any possible leaky joints. They will remain swollen for probably a year or up to eighteen months after being emptied for the last time. That usually means they will settle to the EMC in which they are stored. If this was outside they will need bringing in and storing for several months before they will be dry enough. Any shakes or distortions should then be apparent before you do anything, and bad ones be discarded. It sounds as though your staves are still too wet. Try a few random moisture readings, anything more than 15% will cause trouble in Oak.

Pete