Pondering Purchasing Power 'Cheats'

Tony Wilkins

Started out with an Olson 3tpi blade listed on amazon as for resawing.  We'll see where that goes.

Derek, I was being somewhat tongue an cheek with my description.  The choice of using predominantly hand tools was based on my dislike of the dust and especially the noise of machines.  There's something very soothing to me about the quiet of a hand tool shop and it fits my physical limitations.

• Like 1

Ok, so not cheats exactly, but power tools to aid in my woodworking for fast projects and large scale things like a fort for the kiddies.

1. A track saw - I've considered a bandsaw but I think a circular saw with a track might be more useful.  How well would one work for those rips I don't want to make occasionally?

2. A pocket screw jig - for those times I want to slap something together quick. (Should I ever want to make something that won't last until the wood is petrified?)

3. A domino - same as 2 but a little more permanent.  This one is the one I'm least considering.

So what do ya think?  Should I?

If you intend to mechanize part of your operation, perfectly sane thing to do, get a tablesaw, jointer, and planer first.  Then a bandsaw.  A Domino and pocket screw jig would be way down on the list and a tracksaw only if you do a whole, whole lot of site work.