Pondering Purchasing Power 'Cheats'

Tony Wilkins

Ok, so not cheats exactly, but power tools to aid in my woodworking for fast projects and large scale things like a fort for the kiddies.

1. A track saw - I've considered a bandsaw but I think a circular saw with a track might be more useful.  How well would one work for those rips I don't want to make occasionally?

2. A pocket screw jig - for those times I want to slap something together quick. (Should I ever want to make something that won't last until the wood is petrified?)

3. A domino - same as 2 but a little more permanent.  This one is the one I'm least considering.

So what do ya think?  Should I?

Tough questions!

The pocket screw jig and the domino are great choices!  Very useful on a variety of projects!  I have both and love them both!

If I had to chose between the track saw and the bandsaw, I think I'd take the bandsaw.  Fact is the track saw is a one trick pony but, the bandsaw can accomplish multiple tasks.. 

Don't under estimate a bandsaw. Track saw is nice for straight line cuts. Bandsaw can do that and much more.

A domino is on my short list of things I want to buy. I have a pocket hole jig, and could really go without it. It has it's place, but for me I don't use it much.

Router? I already have an LV router plane ;)  Besides I'm leaning towards some hollows and rounds.

I did just an initial search for band saws.  I vaguely remember that Derek Cohen had a Hammer so I figured it had to be good.  One dumb question though - do I have to have a 220V outlet for a bandsaw?  if so how much does that cost to be wired into a finished garage after it's built?

Resaw a bit and an occasional rip.  Budget? don't rightly know but I try to buy once and buy right.

ok that's a starting point. The next question is how much resew capacity do you want? a 14" cast iron saw will get you 6" without a riser block. a steel backed saw will get you from 10 to 13" depending on the model. so just knowing that your talking $500 to $1500.

with regards to the 220 is your main panel in your shop, or close to it?

You can wire yourself. You seem like someone who doesn't like to cut corners, so by taking your time and reading how to wire a 220 outlet, you can get it done in about an hour or two. I have no electrical experience, but I read all code requirements that I could find and used those along with a handful of instructional articles to wire my entire shop.

I vote for a band saw. My tracksaw is great, because I deal with full plywood sheets a fair bit. If I didn't, I would have bought a bandsaw first.

• Like 1

I am a huge fan of the Grizzly bandsaws. The GO555 with the riser and mobile base is a winning combo. If you have more money for it, get a bigger one, but honestly you won't need it unless you're resawing all day long. I've had mine for a couple of years now, and it's done everything I've asked of it. It even has the nice roller guides :)

You can spend lots more money for a bandsaw, but I don't see the point because the Grizzly is such a nice machine.

And don't get wrapped up in the idea that you're cheating. There is nothing wrong with breaking down lumber with machines even if you are going the mostly hand tool route.

• Like 1

I have to agree with PB, skip the domino but pocket holes can be handy sometimes. I think you will find a track saw very useful but I would pair it with one of Festool's dust collectors. I would also give a strong recommendation for a bandsaw. I have the same one as Mel, it's okay I am by no means in love with it or any of my Grizzly stuff for that matter. If you want to stay with 110v I would look at this bandsaw from Laguna. If you are going to spend the time and money to get wired for 220 then I would go big with something like the PM1500, Hammer, or one of the Laguna Italian made bandsaws. 

If you have the funds, absolutely buy a better saw. I didn't mean to say the grizzly is the best bandsaw in the world, it isn't. But for around $600 you won't find a better saw. Double that, and you get the Laguna. I'd expect it to be a better saw, and when I buy a second bandsaw, I'll be looking at those that James listed.

If you have the funds, absolutely buy a better saw. I didn't mean to say the grizzly is the best bandsaw in the world, it isn't. But for around $600 you won't find a better saw. Double that, and you get the Laguna. I'd expect it to be a better saw, and when I buy a second bandsaw, I'll be looking at those that James listed.

Sorry Mel, didn't mean to bash our saw. You are right you can't beat it for $600.