wood pile find

Dave H

I was building a fire out in the shop yesterday I grabbed a chunk of alder I was looking at it and, it looked like it would be an interesting piece of wood. I squared it up on the old band saw and, it yielded a 4x4" 20" long I spent some time working on some cabinets that I'm building and thinking about what I wanted to do with the found wood. this is what I came up with you can't see the spalting that shows up with the naked eye but, the variegation of the reds and, yellows show real well. 

post-2926-0-16255100-1393272078_thumb.jppost-2926-0-38831100-1393272113_thumb.jppost-2926-0-74604800-1393272148_thumb.jp I just thought someone might enjoy the woodpile find my photography skills are probably lacking.  

• Like 2

PB I feel as though you are making some sort of statement HMMMM. Thanks everyone else I love finding interesting wood out of the wood pile I found some tiger maple in a chunk of stump wood a guy gave me, I stumbled over it for years than I made the handle for my leg vice out of some of it.

post-2926-0-70322700-1300229568_thumb.jp

PB I feel as though you are making some sort of statement HMMMM. Thanks everyone else I love finding interesting wood out of the wood pile I found some tiger maple in a chunk of stump wood a guy gave me, I stumbled over it for years than I made the handle for my leg vice out of some of it.

Nope. You guys would just have a ball in my burn pile is all. 

• Like 2

Well done and you sir have a good eye for gems in the rough, I too love to keep an eye out for wood others would just burn - Just a small advice I received from a older local woodworker - Keep an open mind and always look at all would as a new project. Keep an eye out for old furniture that has been throne out to the curb. some of the older furniture was made with hard woods and then covered with fabric.