Woodtek 20" planer - is bigger better?

nod

I've read a lot of folks wish they had upgraded their jointers sooner to a larger size, but what about planers?

I don't currently have either, and always keep my eyes peeled on CL. well, today's special is a 20" Woodtek for $400

---

(20" Woodtek Planer - ($400.00) It's set up for 220v right now but can be switched to 110. Its on a roller cart and is ready to wheel right out our door.)

---

I just got the garage re-wired (more 110 plugs, plus 220! So it's not an issue). I don't know I NEED 20" of planing power. But, I wonder if this is worth a go? Every other planer locally is about $300 for a lunchbox. Missed a very clean 735 last week at $400. Any reason to go with something big? 

I've had real good luck with Woodtek equipment.  I only buy it because it's cheap, and I can either run over to the store and pick something up, or shipping for smaller pieces, like tabletop mortisers, is cheap because I live fairly close.  Every piece I have still works just fine.   Woodworkers Supply is great to deal with for parts too.

I'd buy it if it was close to me for that price.  A planer is one thing that bigger is better. It'll probably take 3 or 4 passes through a 735 to do what one pass will in the big one.  I wouldn't want to run it on 110 though. 

Thanks Tom. I spoke to the guy and it sounded great. Was going to look at it tomorrow. But he just called back, and I guess another guy in the shop already sold it. missed it by thiiiiiiis | _ _ _ |  much

Shame you missed out. Sometimes you just have to take the plunge and figure it out from there.

I wonder if people don't grumble so much about the 12"-13" bench top planers because most stock is narrower than that. I often work with 8"-10" wide pieces. It's hard to get anything much wider than that. Or if you can it's really a specialty item. I would love to upgrade my 6" jointer. It's quite frustrating dealing with wider stock - not to mention kinda dangerous when I have to remove the guard on my jointer in order to run the stock through.

• 6 years later...

I'm looking at a Woodtek 15" planer, 220V single phase, 3HP. Can't find any info on them online as to how much they sell for. 'Unavailable' is what comes up. Anyway, they want $1000 for it. Model # 118202. Any input?

Woodtek.jpg

Edited by flango
Attach picture, include model #

I think that's the same model I paid $400 for, several years ago.  I haven't looked at new prices, but they are sold by Woodworkers Supply.  Google can find them for you.  I've dealt with them for maybe 40 years.  It's  Strong 15" planer, and I have no complaints with mine.