What is that smell?!

samhell

What is it in some plywoods and MDF that makes the wood stink? Its going to sound bad, but the only way I know to describe it is a "dirty butt" smell. :unsure: Is it the glue? A particular wood content? Is it rotting? Many years ago, before I even owned a circular saw, I bought a computer desk for my wife. It was veneered particle board from China. It smelled so bad we just put it outside and left it. :blink: Some sheets of plywood smell like this too. I'll use them for jigs or whatever but I won't bring any parts of them into the house. Most of the stuff smells like "normal" wood but some just smells awful. Maybe my nose is just too sensitive... :lol:

Yea, sounds like formaldehyde. Some people are extremely sensitive to it. Personally, nothing phases me but, my wife has major issues with it and other off gassing materials. There are some alternatives becoming more available, but still not main stream.

Yea, sounds like formaldehyde. Some people are extremely sensitive to it. Personally, nothing phases me but, my wife has major issues with it and other off gassing materials. There are some alternatives becoming more available, but still not main stream.

That's why she leaves you in the shop all night... :o