does anyone have or has anyone used the compact DW router?

gardnesd

Not yet in Canada. I was speaking with the Dewalt rep an hour ago at a store. He tells me this new compact router has been in the works for about 5 years. First generation had too much power so they reduced it to make it manageable. He recommends the 2 base kit when they come out shortly. March or April will see more accessories such as edge guides, etc.

Sounds like there might be a niche for these routers. Not sure how it compares with the Bosch "Colt" which is a gem from what I hear from others.

Just got mine in yesterday. I have not had a chance to test it out, but it is a little heavier than the Colt.

I purchased the two base delxe kit, mostly because of the plunge base which would have been an expensive add on for the Colt, Micro Fence any one,LOL.

The only initial drawback I am seeing so far is that for $200 bucks you get the motor, 2 bases, wrench and a bag. No dust collection or fence or goodie's to speak of. After a little research last night I found the dust collection devices for it on CPO website and they are very inexpensive, which

makes me wonder why they just didn't throw them in so it would be a real "deluxe" kit. At 7 and 9 bucks, not a big hit and yes there is one for the plunge and one for the fixed. On a side note, if you own the Dewalt edge guide it will fit the plunge base in this set, there is a separate edge guide

for the fixed base which is fairly inexpensive, like 12 bucks I think.

All in all it looks and feels like a good machine and you can change between bases quickly and easily, unlike the Colt. I will update this later when I take it for a spin.

• 2 weeks later...

Update, but first a correction...I am seeing the deluxe kit going for $250. I got mine at IWF for $190, guess it was a half decent deal...maybe.

Well as it turns out the higher price, I bought my Makita 2 1/4hp kit for the same price with dust coll. and edge guide incl., is the only real downside to the router. It is fairly light weight and has great power in a small package.

As far as size goes, it is somewhere between a trim router and 2hp, but closer to the trim router. The bases are very easy to change between and the LED on the motor are a god send, very bright. The bit visibility is pretty good and seem fairly well balanced. I am still waiting on my dust collection adapters and I'll let ya know how that goes.

The plunge base moves very smoothly and has a very easy to use depth stop, like a simple version of the one on my OF1400 and the plate takes template guides.

The fixed base uses the threaded ring setup for adjustment and it works very smoothly. I especially like the "D" shaped clear base.

I think it's a fairly good buy and I really like the versatility of the bases in comparison with my old Colt. The collet lock is way easier than the Colt and it has multiple indention's instead of just one that you have to keep rotating the collet to find.

Hope this helps,

Cheers