Is there another name for this file?

bob493

Hey guys. Some background to where Im coming from; working on instruments is a pain. The tools are "highly specialized" and really expensive... or at least that;s what we're lead to believe. 

For example, a "fret edge dressing file" aka a "square jewelers file" runs anywhere from 20-30$ and is roughly the same quality as said 10$ jewelers file. A "japanese fret saw" aka "japanese pull saw" can run you 100$! A good one costs what, 40$? My 20$ one from home depot works just fine thanks. 

Anyway, this is a type of file called a "Fret crowning file". Basically a concave file. I am wondering if this file has another name  for more cost effective options. 

Heres a pic of mine, cost me 60$... which is farrr too much. Yes Im aware of cheaper ones, but this is a dual grit diamond file, which Im not gonna find for cheaper. Any help is appreciated, sorry for the long ramble. 

IjRQw7j.jpg

Hey guys. Some background to where Im coming from; working on instruments is a pain. The tools are "highly specialized" and really expensive... or at least that;s what we're lead to believe. 

For example, a "fret edge dressing file" aka a "square jewelers file" runs anywhere from 20-30$ and is roughly the same quality as said 10$ jewelers file. A "japanese fret saw" aka "japanese pull saw" can run you 100$! A good one costs what, 40$? My 20$ one from home depot works just fine thanks. 

Anyway, this is a type of file called a "Fret crowning file". Basically a concave file. I am wondering if this file has another name  for more cost effective options. 

Heres a pic of mine, cost me 60$... which is farrr too much. Yes Im aware of cheaper ones, but this is a dual grit diamond file, which Im not gonna find for cheaper. Any help is appreciated, sorry for the long ramble. 

IjRQw7j.jpg

Hi Bob,
I have multiple crowning files all different sizes for different profiles, some bought from Stewmac in the States and some bought locally from Tonetech in the UK. Unfortunately they are, as you have eluded, all highly specialized tools and they all cost an arm and a leg. Be extra cautious of those you see on eBay. I have bought a couple of them from sellers in mainland China and they are very poor indeed. They may be shaped like a fret file and may work a few times but they just do not have the longevity that a "real" one has. By the time you have bought 3 of these you could have bought 1 proper one.

The suppliers I have quoted above and Luthiers Merchantile are all reputable sellers and you should stick with them. You only get what you pay for and those sellers are the equivalent of Lee Valley or Lie Nielsen.

Incidentally the one with a cranked handle is far better for working on frets closer to the body - ideal for touching up profiles on acoustic instruments - than the straight one you have.

Bob on the fretting slot saws I normally buy mine direct from Flinn Garlick Saws in Sheffield, UK. They produce different results than the one that Stewmac sells (also made in Sheffield by Flinn Garlick) as the kerf is not quite as wide. The Stewmac one is only a thou inch wider but I have found frets can become loose using that one.

http://www.flinn-garlick-saws.co.uk/acatalog/Pax_Guitar_Saw.html#SID=442

Thats unfortunately what I was thinking. I got mine from a dude on amazon, really high quality stuff, but I know my file is getting a bit worn out. Guess I'll just stick with it then, hoping there was some special file out there similar to this one. 

@terry -> right on. The saw I have is a .022 kerf, so its perfect for pressure fitting frets. Not sure Im ready to spend 75$ on a "fret saw" though. I have a nice jig for this one, and haven't had any issues with this one so far :) 

I'm planning on building a fanned fret/multiscale guitar however cutting the fanned frets seem like it's gonna be a nightmare. I was thinking maybe cut them with my table saw and get the Stewmac blade, and use my incra miter 5000 sled. My other option would be to design a really crazy miter box, or use my father's radial arm saw with the Stewmac blade. Has anyone found anywhere else to get a .023 kerf blade?

Made my own! Its pretty nifty, I can show you if you'd like some time. Basically an acrylic box with a depth stop, and has press clamps to hold it in place.

yes I'd like to see a picture of that. I made my own from wood with some aluminium guides that act as depth stops. Very similar to the Stewmac one but it's getting worn out now. I must make another one and plexi sounds appealing.

I'm planning on building a fanned fret/multiscale guitar however cutting the fanned frets seem like it's gonna be a nightmare. I was thinking maybe cut them with my table saw and get the Stewmac blade, and use my incra miter 5000 sled. My other option would be to design a really crazy miter box, or use my father's radial arm saw with the Stewmac blade. Has anyone found anywhere else to get a .023 kerf blade?

Yes Bill at Tonetech sells them. They are 22 thou with a 30mm bore but he does also have bore reducers to go to 5/8" as used in North American table saws.

http://www.tonetechluthiersupplies.co.uk/luthier-tools/fretting/fret-slotting-blade-150mm.html

I've tried fan fretting and just done them with a custom mitre box along with a manual saw. Essentially a U section with all the kerfs precut. It was challenging to say the least! The maths to work it out is a big headache.

remind me tomorrow mate, ill post pics! It was simple to make too, but the material can be expensive if you dont have it laying around like I did

again, i have a source that does custom kerfs, ill post it tomorrow when im more of a sound mind haha 

Thanks TerryMcK

remind me tomorrow mate, ill post pics! It was simple to make too, but the material can be expensive if you dont have it laying around like I did

again, i have a source that does custom kerfs, ill post it tomorrow when im more of a sound mind haha 

Awesome, thanks, Bob

Sorry guys, got super busy yesterday! 

For custom saw blades, these guys do fantastic work. I wore my blade out a while ago, and just haven't bothered with a replacement. Doing it by hand has proven to be just fine for me, but send these guys an email. We arranged a group deal on tdpri a while ago, and we got them for like 22$ a blade after shipping.  They did need blade stiffeners, but I had some of those laying around anyway.  I did some fret slotting for a few people, I'd say the blade lasted about 30 good boards, most of which were stupidly hard to cut exotic woods (tiger wood, purple heart, iron wood, jatoba off the top of my head)

http://www.blademfg.com/products/custom-saw-blades/

Terry, I can't find a dang picture of my jig on my computer. I'll dig it out of storage at some point.