Tablesaw/Plywood/MDF question

imrich

I'm ripping many narrow strips (2") from a large sheet of MDF. If I set the fence to 2" to the right of the blade and make repeated cuts, I'm finding it difficult keeping the material square to the fence. It's only off by a 64th or less, but it's annoying. Would I get better results if I moved the fence further down to the right, so each cutoff was the 2" I need and just move the fence toward the blade after each cut, keeping the bulk of the material between the blade and the fence. My only concern with this approach is repeatability.

Not sure what kind of table saw you have, but if you have more room to support the board to the right of the blade, you could always set the fence on the left side of the blade, and use the room on the right side of the blade to help support the large sheet. Just a thought.

I'm ripping many narrow strips (2") from a large sheet of MDF. If I set the fence to 2" to the right of the blade and make repeated cuts, I'm finding it difficult keeping the material square to the fence. It's only off by a 64th or less, but it's annoying. Would I get better results if I moved the fence further down to the right, so each cutoff was the 2" I need and just move the fence toward the blade after each cut, keeping the bulk of the material between the blade and the fence. My only concern with this approach is repeatability.

When ever I need to rip down narrow strips from a large panel I'll first determine how many I need. Lets say you need ten 2" wide strips I would rip a piece 20" wide plus an additional 1/8" for each piece I need plus about another 1/4". This way you only handle the large sheet one time.