Ahoy Landlovers

I am returning to woodworking after a five year break and only had limited experience prior to my hiatus. I’m in the Navy and haven’t had opportunity to set up a shop since 2005 but the purchase of my first new house (with 2/car garage) has started the itch all over again. Currently I am on the tail end of a two month underway and luckily I downloaded all of Marc’s podcasts prior to departure. I’ve watched each episode at least 3 times and some more than that. His delivery method and the content of his instruction give me new confidence that I will be able to make leaps and bounds ion the quality of my work.

I am very interested to join TheWoodWhisperer Guild but I have a deployment on the horizon and would waste a good portion of the year not being able to participate or even follow along.

My current complement of tools is very limited but I have never really understood how to set them up to perform at their best. I have a countertop table saw, router, compound miter saw, circular saw, jig saw, and an ROS. I desperately want to upgrade all of them except the ROS which is brand new. I will most likely have to wait until I get back from the looming deployment before doing so. In the meantime I wanted a way to be able to build solid shop furniture/storage and decided on getting the DowelMax and a new Dewalt cordless drill. The demo Marc did with it in his drill charging station was very impressive.

When I get back from deployment I would love to get an assortment of Lie Neilsen planes and chisels, as well as a box of Band-Aids, before jumping into the fray…

Regards,

Mark

Welcome aboard!!! And thanks for your service! I agree, Marc has a talent for teaching. I've really enjoyed the community since finding the Spags and their "little" venture four years, or so, ago. I think you'll find everyone here to be of great support.