getting ready to cut motises in the shaker end table

gardnesd

Standard method is to set your mortice gauge to your chisel, then set the distance in from the edge that you require, mark the two sides of your mortice from the face edge and knife across the ends. If you are going to drill out then mark a centre line with the gauge afterwards. Use a drill that is not quite as wide as the mortice. Though with care and practice it's more than possible to drill right up to your gauge marks.

It used to be one of those very stupid things that so called 'Purists' would frown upon if you drilled out the waste first. Their utterly idiotic argument used to be that the ancient 'traditional' Carpenters never used a drill because the correct way was to chop out with a mortice chisel. Excuse my reply but, Bollocks! about sums it up. The reason these ancients didn't use a drill was because their wobbly hand made augers were notorious for wandering. If you attempted to drill a neat straight hole down a three inch mortice, you'd almost certainly have the point dig you in the leg as it burst out the side. Believe me, until a few years ago I had quite a collection of some very, very old boat augers, and they never drilled more than an inch or two without wandering.

Infact, until three years ago I did all my drilling with a brace and bit and various twist drills and augers. Most of which I still posses. These days I have a mortice machine. But go ahead and drill out as much waste as you can safely remove before cleaning out the mortice with a sharp chisel. If you have corner chisels of the right size it'll be even better. when using your drill you may want to place a depth stop on it so you can get an even depth to your mortice. It'll definitely help when you come to clean it out with your chisels. And remember only a mallet and please don't go bashing delicate bevel edged or paring chisels with it. If you haven't got a set of mortice chisels either borrow some or go buy 'em.

Pete

Maybe the Cherry I ordered from Bell Forest is flimsy. I was able to hog out most of the waste with a cordless drill and a 3/8 forstner. I didn't need the mallet that I had on hand and I don't own and don't know anyone who owns mortising chisels. I was able to pare the rest out by hand without a mallet and it was an quite an enjoyable excercise.

Tomorrow: make the tapering jig for the talbesaw.

OOOOOhhh? I do have a HF one i might try next time.

Tapering is done. Legs are done except for dovetail mortise.

Mark, in the video you hogged out the mortises at a little less than 3/8. Did you go back later and take them to 3/8 or did you shorten your tenons? Perhaps you cover that in a later video.

I actually had to fix some loose tenons today. I took a piece of scrap to the bandsaw and started to resaw it. I was just cutting a thin strip about 1/16". Then I cut it off and used a utility knife to trim to rough size. Brushed a little glue on one side and glued it to the tenon. I let it sit for just a bit and used a block plane to clean it up. worked perfectly. If you don't have a band saw, you can use your table saw. Good luck.

I actually had to fix some loose tenons today. I took a piece of scrap to the bandsaw and started to resaw it. I was just cutting a thin strip about 1/16". Then I cut it off and used a utility knife to trim to rough size. Brushed a little glue on one side and glued it to the tenon. I let it sit for just a bit and used a block plane to clean it up. worked perfectly. If you don't have a band saw, you can use your table saw. Good luck.

I think I'll try this.