Dewalt 735 Planer

Chet

I had an interesting experience today.  I was starting to plan a piece of wood and I noticed that I was getting wood shavings out the infeed side of the machine and the first thing I realized was that I hadn't turned on the dust collection.  The second thing I realized is that do to some blast gates being set improperly I hard shavings from the planer coming out of the DC hood of my miter saw some 30 feet of duct work away.  So yea that little fan in the planer works pretty well.

That fan is pretty powerful - there have been times I've forgotten to turn on the DC, but all the chips still ended up in the collection bag.  I've thought about removing the fan, as I've read where some people have done that to cut down on the noise.  Then again I've also thought about adding a fan to other tools to help with the dust collection :)

I had an interesting experience today.  I was starting to plan a piece of wood and I noticed that I was getting wood shavings out the infeed side of the machine and the first thing I realized was that I hadn't turned on the dust collection.  The second thing I realized is that do to some blast gates being set improperly I hard shavings from the planer coming out of the DC hood of my miter saw some 30 feet of duct work away.  So yea that little fan in the planer works pretty well.

I'm glad this happens to someone else too.  I can't tell you how many times I've forgotten to close my bandsaw blastgate before I turn on the planer 30 feet away, and I end up with a huge pile of chips forming around the base of the bandsaw.  That chip ejection fan is no joke!