Carbide tipped bandsaw blades, are they worth it?

Tom Cancelleri

I ordered a Laguna 14Twelve yesterday during their 10% off sale. Save about 110 bucks on the saw, now I need blades. In the past I've used mostly Timberwolf blades and I've been impressed with their performance. 

Laguna's current promotion is a "free" 3/4" resaw king with the purchase of a Laguna saw. I've heard some mixed reviews about the Resaw King blades. My question is, should I just keep my saved money and put it towards the mobility kit, or get the resaw king blade? Other options would be woodslicer, timberwolf, or some lenox blades. I don't resaw a whole lot, and the woods I do resaw are usually domestics (cherry, walnut, maple, etc)

Thoughts?

I have a Resaw King and really like it. Sanding after a resaw cut is necessary - generally 1/64 to 1/32 is enough to smooth and remove any drift problem. I use a drum sander.

ive seen some resaw cuts that needed to go through the planer then get sanded! I imagine the problem was a combination of a cheap blade and a bad technique?

ive seen some resaw cuts that needed to go through the planer then get sanded! I imagine the problem was a combination of a cheap blade and a bad technique?

I always joint one face, and one edge before resawing. If you don't start with a flat back against the fence that could cause problems. Also, the blade and setup for drift and such is something to take into consideration.

Tom, I would think the accuracy of the cut is more important than what the surface looks like. Especially if you have a planer and or drum sander. I like the TimberWolfe for their performance and their service, but I would kill for a carbide blade!

I've been using carbide tipped blades for several years and won't go back.  I use the Lenox Tri-master from bandsawbladesdirect.com.  Delivery is only a few days.

I've used the woodslicer and it does give excellent results for a short while whereas my carbide tipped blade gives very good results for a long while.  I can cut a veneer of less than 1/16" - 8" wide with no problem.  I know they are expensive ($162.24 for my Laguna 14/12) but, in my opinion, worth it.  Before the Laguna, I had a Delta 14" and used the Tri-master on it as well.

For tight curves I keep both a 1/4" and 3/8" blade on hand but the carbide tipped blade is the one usually on the saw.

I ordered a Laguna 14Twelve yesterday during their 10% off sale. Save about 110 bucks on the saw, now I need blades. In the past I've used mostly Timberwolf blades and I've been impressed with their performance. 

Laguna's current promotion is a "free" 3/4" resaw king with the purchase of a Laguna saw. I've heard some mixed reviews about the Resaw King blades. My question is, should I just keep my saved money and put it towards the mobility kit, or get the resaw king blade? Other options would be woodslicer, timberwolf, or some lenox blades. I don't resaw a whole lot, and the woods I do resaw are usually domestics (cherry, walnut, maple, etc)

Thoughts?

Hey Tom, I have the 14 Twelve on (back)order right now. I got mine at the 10% discount, but I did not see a promotion that included a free 3/4" resaw king blade. Is that a vendor-specific promotion? Just wondering as I ordered a few Timberwolf blades to get started, but I would love to try that carbide tipped monster...I just couldn't justify the extra $$ for that bad boy.

Hey Tom, I have the 14 Twelve on (back)order right now. I got mine at the 10% discount, but I did not see a promotion that included a free 3/4" resaw king blade. Is that a vendor-specific promotion? Just wondering as I ordered a few Timberwolf blades to get started, but I would love to try that carbide tipped monster...I just couldn't justify the extra $$ for that bad boy.

Gary,  I bought my 1412 on the same sale as yours, 10% off.  I think the blade deal started right after the 10% thing ended.  I saw it on Woodcraft's flyer.

• Like 1

I wouldn't jump on the carbide blade bandwagon unless your running a commercial re saw machine.

Oh I'm in no rush to try one. I'm pretty sure that a proper setup with a nice sharp blade will do just fine. It's the 10 year old in me that can't stand the thought of not getting as good of a deal as someone else. Lol.

• Like 1

Think of them as more of a secret weapon for that piece of wood that needs a smooth cut and there is no room for excess sanding. Small saws will not tension a carbide blade properly so if you do get enough tension its hell on the saw, you would not want to run them on a regular basis. I wouldn't run one constantly on my saw even with its size and hp.

• Like 1

Think of them as more of a secret weapon for that piece of wood that needs a smooth cut and there is no room for excess sanding. Small saws will not tension a carbide blade properly so if you do get enough tension its hell on the saw, you would not want to run them on a regular basis. I wouldn't run one constantly on my saw even with its size and hp.

I thought carbide tip blades benefit was staying sharp not actually being sharper than regular blades when they're both new.

I thought carbide tip blades benefit was staying sharp not actually being sharper than regular blades when they're both new.

Carbide tips are both sharper and last longer thus why they cut smoother and do it longer. Just another one of those tools downsized from the industrial world, unfortunately they have their own set of requirements that most small saws can't fill.

Carbide tips are both sharper and last longer thus why they cut smoother and do it longer. Just another one of those tools downsized from the industrial world, unfortunately they have their own set of requirements that most small saws can't fill.

how small PB? Like 14" and under? Just curious, the wood slicer will meet my needs for as little as I resaw.

how small PB? Like 14" and under? Just curious, the wood slicer will meet my needs for as little as I resaw.

Pretty much anything the average guy has in a small shop is a small saw. Mine has a max blade width of 1 1/2 so I stay at 1" or less for carbide but thats with 5hp. I guess I'd say two sizes under max but 1/2 really isn't going to give you the benefit of a carbide. On the other hand under 3hp or so your not going to have the power to get the real benefit of a 3/4" blade. Personally I would just stick with a quality blade unless your running a resaw with power feeder.

Pretty much anything the average guy has in a small shop is a small saw. Mine has a max blade width of 1 1/2 so I stay at 1" or less for carbide but thats with 5hp. I guess I'd say two sizes under max but 1/2 really isn't going to give you the benefit of a carbide. On the other hand under 3hp or so your not going to have the power to get the real benefit of a 3/4" blade. Personally I would just stick with a quality blade unless your running a resaw with power feeder.

oh yeah, no more than I resaw it wouldn't be worth the money. The wood slicer is perfect for me, economical, cuts good, and it will last a long time for the limited use it will see in my shop.