Router

DadoHead

I am going to build my first raised panel cabinet doors and would like some suggestions on what router I should buy. I currently have a Ryobi with a 1/4 inch collet that was given to me as a gift. Most cabinet door bit sets are 1/2 inch, so the Ryobi won't work. I would like to plunge cut too - so I can make holes for adjustable shelves. I would like to keep it under $250 if possible. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

I am going to build my first raised panel cabinet doors and would like some suggestions on what router I should buy. I currently have a Ryobi with a 1/4 inch collet that was given to me as a gift. Most cabinet door bit sets are 1/2 inch, so the Ryobi won't work. I would like to plunge cut too - so I can make holes for adjustable shelves. I would like to keep it under $250 if possible. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

For something to do raised panels, you want it beefy and variable speed. The plunge that I own that fits that bill is the DeWalt 625. It's a good router. Are you planning a straight cut, raised panel? If so, do it on the TS. Otherwise, I'd recommend using the router in a horizontal set up and going with the vertical bits. They are a bit (no pun intended) safer.

I have one of these Freuds. I have to say that it is a beast and a good router. I prefer it when it is out of the table, biut it is still nice in the table as well. It has all th power in the world that you shpould ever need. And it is on sale for $200. Good deal.

I'm going to be buying another router soon, probably the Triton as I want to use it in a router table. However, this is a good router for above and below a table. Check out extensive review here: http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/tritonrouter.htm

The reason I mention this router for consideration is that it can be nicely mounted into a table, something I'm sure you're going to want to do in the future (as I've found recently myself - it's WAY nicer).

As an aside, check out the latest Tools&Shop issue of Fine Woodworking - they have pretty nice plans for a shop made TS-extension-wing router-table.

Not sure price, a little above $200 I think.

Morton++

More power is usually desirable in a table router, especially for raised panels but above table features are pretty desirable too. I've got a big 15 amp Milwaukee 5625 that's a beast...it never flinches, but most of the time I use a 13 amp Freud FT1700 because of the above table conveniences (the FT3000 has the same above table features with a 15 amp motor). I'd also give the Triton routers some consideration..they have similar above table features.

The big Hitachi M12V2 is another basic 15 amp consideration. No above table features to speak of, but its often one of the better bargains in big routers.

I agree, a bigger router is better for making raised panels.

I have a Freud 1617EVS mounted in my router table. I used it to make some raised panels for the pulpit I made. The router was easy to bog down making these cuts, but it worked. Still, if I had the cash, I'd upgrade the router to a "3 HP" model.

Tony

Thanks!

I use a bosch.. it's one of the tools i get the most use out of.. has 1/2 " colleet, with reducer collets so you can still use the smaller bits. i would buy another.. i have a lot of use on this one and doubt it'll need to be replaced anytime soon. i think it was around the 250 price you indicated... well worth the money..

post-2696-0-03965500-1290560304_thumb.jp

post-2696-0-55456100-1290560320_thumb.jp

post-2696-0-19920400-1290560336_thumb.jp

post-2696-0-43534000-1290560363_thumb.jp

Thank you all for your suggestions! The Freud at Woodcraft for $200 looks like a good deal with everything I would need, however I will take some time to research the Triton, Bosch and the DeWalt before making the purchase. I plan on building a table to fit between my rails on my TS, so I will need a baseplate. I currently built my own from a piece of 3/4 ply and a laminate top. Will I need a specific baseplate for the router I buy, or is there a generic baseplate that will work with all routers?

I've been in the same position as you. I only had a moderate power router with 1/4" collet. I got the Freud at Woodcraft when it went on sale on wednesday, and it looks like it will do the trick, after I get it mounted on a table. It seems very solid in the areas that count, though there are some plastic bits that concerned me a bit (like on the adjustment for the depth stops). But I really don't see that as an issue when it's sitting under a table. This is a pretty big router, and I don't imagine using it hand-held as a plunge router because of the size and weight. I really like the idea of being able to adjust the height from above the table.

This is a pretty big router, and I don't imagine using it hand-held as a plunge router because of the size and weight. I really like the idea of being able to adjust the height from above the table.

THe size and weight is what I liked about it when I was using it out of the table. I felt that it was very smooth and I was able to handle it very nicely. But that is me..

Thanks!

If you're spinning a large cabinet door bit, you should have the router mounted in a table for safety. You can make a table yourself for maybe $30-40 in material, though.