Woodwork Magazine

Onboard

As some of you may remember, Woodwork magazine went to an annual issue only magazine much to the dismay of many a woodworker. I’ve been waiting all year for their next annual issue. Today I saw their Winter 2011 issue on the magazine rack so I purchased it. I just wanted to let everyone know, in case they are not aware, that it is now available. I saw that there are a large number of pictures of very creative pieces of furniture in this issue as well as articles on various woodworkers. By the way, this is not a how-to magazine. You might want to look through it before making a purchase.

Addendum: Vic reminded me that the new issue comes with a CD called “The Best of Woodwork – 15 Great Stories”.

They used to profile some how-to, but you're right. Woodwork mag was the best woodworking mag out there, in my opinion. I loved seeing artful furniture presented that was across the spectrum from functional to down right straight art. Btw, this one comes with an "Best of" PDF CD. If you've never seen the magazine, you should definitely check it out, if you're into design.

They used to profile some how-to, but you're right. Woodwork mag was the best woodworking mag out there, in my opinion. I loved seeing artful furniture presented that was across the spectrum from functional to down right straight art. Btw, this one comes with an "Best of" PDF CD. If you've never seen the magazine, you should definitely check it out, if you're into design.

I agree Vic. From what I saw a lot of the pieces looked like the crossroad of woodworker-makes-furniture and art. I’ll have to spend some more time on the included CD. I just took a brief look at one article.

I agree Vic. From what I saw a lot of the pieces looked like the crossroad of woodworker-makes-furniture and art. I’ll have to spend some more time on the included CD. I just took a brief look at one article.

I have a lot of the old copies. As a matter of fact, I had just renewed my 3 year subscription when they were bought out. Sucked! AWW tried to start sending me their magazine. I got into woodworking as a means to create. The how-to, I found is all over the place. Although, the vast majority I've learned has been here. But, as I've only built one design, who knows where it will go. I did have a lot of fun on this build and it turned out fairly well for a first attempt.

I have a lot of the old copies. As a matter of fact, I had just renewed my 3 year subscription when they were bought out. Sucked! AWW tried to start sending me their magazine. I got into woodworking as a means to create. The how-to, I found is all over the place. Although, the vast majority I've learned has been here. But, as I've only built one design, who knows where it will go. I did have a lot of fun on this build and it turned out fairly well for a first attempt.

I would love to find some of the earlier editions of Woodwork magazine. It seems similar to those who had dual subscriptions to Woodworking Magazine and Popular Woodworking magazine when they decided to drop Woodworking Magazine and supposedly integrate it into Popular Woodworking magazine. I never saw a copy of Woodworking Magazine, so I don’t know how successful the merger or integration was.

As far as the cradle you made, I was very surprised to learn that it is a first effort. I did notice that you received a large number of complements on your cradle. To that I can only add that based on the fact that this is a first project, you’ve made a very large first step in woodworking.

I would love to find some of the earlier editions of Woodwork magazine. It seems similar to those who had dual subscriptions to Woodworking Magazine and Popular Woodworking magazine when they decided to drop Woodworking Magazine and supposedly integrate it into Popular Woodworking magazine. I never saw a copy of Woodworking Magazine, so I don’t know how successful the merger or integration was.

As far as the cradle you made, I was very surprised to learn that it is a first effort. I did notice that you received a large number of complements on your cradle. To that I can only add that based on the fact that this is a first project, you’ve made a very large first step in woodworking.

Thanks Onboard! It was really a blast. I'd started with a seed idea from http://www.finewoodworking.com/Gallery/GalleryPopup.aspx?file=/uploadedimages/fine_woodworking_network/image_resources/cms/img901-img1200/IMG1032_xl.jpg&title=Trestle%20Cradle. I had Gretchin use a watermelon to determine the height needed at the bottom of the cradle and found out the standard cradle size mattress was 18" x 36". The rest was all designed on the fly. Like I said, it was a blast.

Same thing happened to me. Right after renewal they merged and the new product is AWFUL! The pictures are small and fuzzy and the text is too small to read in low light (yea, I'm an old fart but I can read every other magazine). The folks at WWM can't be pleased with the results.

I don't even keep 'em.

• 2 weeks later...

Woodwork is my favorite magazine. If your looking for old issues try Ebay. I purchased the first and early issues by shopping ebay.

I signed up here after seeing "The Wood Whisperer" on TiVo last night. Saw this thread, and have a question.

I have a run (as in 25-30 consecutive issues) of this magazine. If I were to try to sell it, what do you recommend? Individual makes little sense, as even $3 to ship is expensive. I was thinking groups of 6 or 12, and just set up 3 auctions.

I am 48, and finally in a house with great workshop potential, finishing the basement with a decent size shop (400sq ft or so) carved out. But my magazine collection has gotten out of control. I find I build from Woodsmith or Shopnotes more than any other, and short of a dumpster, a limited eBay series is probably the way to go.

I also have some Sterling titles taking up space but there's little value there, may just do a giveaway someplace.

Joe

Edit - I had quite a few subscriptions going - Wood, Workbench, Woodwork. Searched more on eBay, and it seems there's no demand for first two titles.