What to sell to make money

sw1

What are you guys suggest would be something to start out making to sell for a profit. I have a day job and it sucks, full commission so I don't always get paid to work. Any way aside from selling my tools and suggestions on some profitable items for a moderate skill level? I do not have the skills to sell $5000 tables, yet.

thanks,

Shawn

Well the cliche answer is... make what you love to make. If you don't love what you are making then you are just going to be back in a day job.

Start with doing small things so that you don't need to worry about buying 20-40 board foot of wood. Try getting into turning stuff. I have a mini lathe that does all that I want it to do... except for larger bowls.

D

I think I read about it on Marc's site (Beechwood will remember ;)), but a lady was asked to make a compartment box for displaying F-1 NASCAR race car models. She told the guy she didn't have an idea how to do it. He commissioned her anyway; maybe he thought she was hot. Anyway, box came out nice; very few materials overall. Likely during a race-day party, his friends saw the box and ordered more. It's now her business to make that very specific product: display boxes for NASCAR race car models. I can't think of a more specific niche. She wrote a book about it, too, and I believe that's the post on Marc's main site: the book.

Once I read that posting, I was convinced that you could make money even making something simple, but making it well, if it serves a niche market.

So... maybe the F-1 crowd wants something similar?

• Like 1

F-1 fans in the US?

I think I read about it on Marc's site (Beechwood will remember ;)), but a lady was asked to make a compartment box for displaying F-1 NASCAR race car models. She told the guy she didn't have an idea how to do it. He commissioned her anyway; maybe he thought she was hot. Anyway, box came out nice; very few materials overall. Likely during a race-day party, his friends saw the box and ordered more. It's now her business to make that very specific product: display boxes for NASCAR race car models. I can't think of a more specific niche. She wrote a book about it, too, and I believe that's the post on Marc's main site: the book.

Once I read that posting, I was convinced that you could make money even making something simple, but making it well, if it serves a niche market.

So... maybe the F-1 crowd wants something similar?

I'm with dvoigt. Try starting with small turning projects. This year I'm making a few pen/pencil sets for a co-worker to give to her family for Christmas. Her thought was as long as she is going to spent the money for presents for her family, she might as well pay me and get something unique for her family. Selling a few pens each year allows me to have a hobbie, and get a few more tools in the process! ;)

Earlier this year I looked into selling things at a "gallery" where you rent booths. The booth was $3500/yr for about 20 sf. I was interested in selling items that would range in price from $300 - $1k. The proprietor of the business laughed and said, "Well, you'd better have some other items from $5 - $50 as well 'cause we've never sold anything that expensive."

:huh:

So, I've decided that high-end art galleries are where I'll sell. Anything with the term "art" commands a premium. B)

I too have been looking for that marketable item that will sell, I have been going to art fairs, galleries, blogs and reading lots of books from the library, I think I have the item(s) and now I need a market plan and test market. Sorry, not giving away my ideas, but it just takes time. Good luck...

I try and make things you can't buy at a big box store because most of the people who end up buying hobby type wood working end up turning to part time wood workers when they cant find it anywhere else and figure we would be cheaper than some professional wood worker who probably wouldn't waste his/her time making the smaller items they are wanting.