HOME/SHOP SECURITY

duckkisser

We had a home security system while I was in business because we thought we needed it AND the insurance company thought so too. I had over $100,000 in inventory in the shop (small tools) that was very easy to carry off as well as all the house hold stuff.

We got rid of the security system when I retired because it just didn't seem worth the monthly payment for us now. We don't own anything worth stealing anyway and if someone wanted anything that I own, he can have it if he will just ask.

Most security companies require you to sign a two year contract and then automatically extend it every two years. When you tell them that you want out of the contract, they make you pay for the rest of the current contract NOW! We went ahead and payed  an extra eight months just to get something for our money, with monthly reminder notes that we wanted to terminate at the end of the current contract.

My son came up with the cheapest security system you can get. He put a sign from one of the local companies next to his house and a small box with an AA battery and flashing red led light near the garage door.

Rog

• Like 1

I have a dropcam/nest cam in my three garage shop. Records to the cloud and saves 7 days worth of footage. I get alerts for certain zones within the viewing area like garage door, mudroom door. It can also be set to only alert you when you are not home. Camera is $200 and its $100/year for 7 days of recording. I can access live video feed from my phone and use it as an intercom. I have also saved clips of me doing projects in high speed, my kids sneaking into shop, and a garage door repairman picking up my #7 lie-Nielsen while he was alone! I have three kids to feed and entertain. There is no way I'm keeping up with a dog.