HOME/SHOP SECURITY

duckkisser

I'm gonna retract my previous comment about Shane's monster.  I thought it was a pit bull...missed the dogo Argentino part altogether.  Wasn't familiar with that breed so I went wiki.  Apparently the crazy has been bred out of it unlike the pit bull and supposedly they're fairly predictable in comparison.  So, sorry Shane...didn't mean to dis your dogo. :D  It is a mean looking beast though.  I wouldn't break into your shop, that much I'm sure of.

• Like 1

I live 500+ feet off the road and can't see anything from my house.  Atleast for now, I have an old iphone running Manything and IFTTT pointing out the front to the driveway.   When I leave a designated area IFTTT tells Manything to start recording, tells it to stop when I come back.   Manything then alerts me when motion is detected.  Our security company at work sent us extra window decals so I have those posted around as well.

And one can always kick a beagle out of the way... try that with a pit bull and you're dead meat.

He wasn't pure Snoopy ... larger than average for a beagle, colored like a Rotty, and had one blue/white eye like a Malamute. Looked like a demon when he snapped, too. Better kick fast, kick hard, and aim straight. Second kick might be made crotchless.
  • Like 1

He wasn't pure Snoopy ... larger than average for a beagle, colored like a Rotty, and had one blue/white eye like a Malamute. Looked like a demon when he snapped, too. Better kick fast, kick hard, and aim straight. Second kick might be made crotchless.

The problem with pitbulls is that, like most breeds created for blood sports, they have a high tolerance to pain. They will still continue their attack even when wounded. I had a bull terrier for 17 years, a very long life for dogs of this breed, and he was the sweetest dog, absolutely harmless. But I was always wondering when was he going to snap, which sometimes happens with dogs at old age. Fortunately that never happened. Milo (that was his name) died in his sleep as peaceful as he lived.

The problem with pitbulls is that, like most breeds created for blood sports, they have a high tolerance to pain. They will still continue their attack even when wounded. I had a bull terrier for 17 years, a very long life for dogs of this breed, and he was the sweetest dog, absolutely harmless. But I was always wondering when was he going to snap, which sometimes happens with dogs at old age. Fortunately that never happened. Milo (that was his name) died in his sleep as peaceful as he lived.

They never snap, to the best of my knowledge. Aggression is almost always learned behavior. It's sad. There is a great page somewhere online of pictures of pit bulls making funny faces and cuddling with toddlers.

They never snap, to the best of my knowledge. Aggression is almost always learned behavior. It's sad. There is a great page somewhere online of pictures of pit bulls making funny faces and cuddling with toddlers.

You're probably right.

I remember when I was a kid dobermans were considered the snappy dogs, with several colorful stories supporting that "fact"...

My dog was a bull terrier, not a pitbull though. Anyways, when he left us I got ourselves a frenchie, so one less thing to worry about.

I prefer mutts. Much of the snap aggression is inbreeding senility. It does not take much fresh genetic pool stock to avoid some potential personality disorders. I do love the look of some full blood breeds but am a realist when it comes to having these animals around my kids. 

• Like 1

If pure breds are inbred, then they are coming from a terrible back yard breeder. I'd never buy from them. Gotta pay to get a good dog. My pure bred mastiff doesn't have any aggression outside of protection of her family. I've only heard of one or two mastiffs that are aggressive and it's always been a result of bad owners. 

If pure breds are inbred, then they are coming from a terrible back yard breeder. I'd never buy from them. Gotta pay to get a good dog. My pure bred mastiff doesn't have any aggression outside of protection of her family. I've only heard of one or two mastiffs that are aggressive and it's always been a result of bad owners. 

unfortunately, this just isn't supported by fact.

Dog breeds aren't even a  real thing.  Humans made them up by selective breeding for genetic manipulation.  Aside from a very few traditional and rural european working class dogs,  most "breeds" didn't even exist until ~100 years ago. You can blame it on 19th century England and their fascination with eugenics.

Perfect example. The AKC reported a few years back that in a case study of 10,000 golden retriever stud dna samples,  there were less than 50 actual independent structures. . 60%+ of these same dogs died from cancer. . Aka inbred as crap.

Now please Don't get me wrong,  my family is an AKC registered kennel that has been breeding show dachshunds for 20 years. I love dogs in general but "pure bred" is a very recent thing and does not mean the same thing as healthy.  

As far as paying for good dogs,  that isn't a silver bullet either.  I personally know of a champion kennel in the mid west,  with a dozen champion dams and 3 grand champion studs who regularly sells puppies with umbilical hernias, one blind eye or deaf ear, one or two undiscended testicles, dewclaws that were improperly clipped,  and kinked tails to "pet only" homes for the low low price of about $6,000. She line bred her dogs genetics into a straight line and is currently being stripped of her status. 

Edited by Brendon_t

Dog breeds aren't even a  real thing.  Humans made them up by selective breeding for genetic manipulation.  Aside from a very few traditional and rural european working class dogs,  most "breeds" didn't even exist until ~100 years ago. You can blame it on 19th century England and their fascination with eugenics.

Perfect example. The AKC reported a few years back that in a case study of 10,000 golden retriever stud dna samples,  there were less than 50 actual independent structures. . 60%+ of these same dogs died from cancer. . Aka inbred as crap.

Now please Don't get me wrong,  my family is an AKC registered kennel that has been breeding show dachshunds for 20 years. I love dogs in general but "pure bred" is a very recent thing and does not mean the same thing as healthy.  

As far as paying for good dogs,  that isn't a silver bullet either.  I personally know of a champion kennel in the mid west,  with a dozen champion dams and 3 grand champion studs who regularly sells puppies with umbilical hernias, one blind eye or deaf ear, one or two undiscended testicles, dewclaws that were improperly clipped,  and kinked tails to "pet only" homes for the low low price of about $6,000. She line bred her dogs genetics into a straight line and is currently being stripped of her status. 

I dont know what brandon said but that sure sounds bad.  I dont know what undiscended testicles means but it sounds like a bad thing shoot even discended testicles doesnt sound good either lol.  Europeans were mentioned as eugenics in dogs but it was practiced by all cultures either through purposeful cross breeding or as natural selection.

I won't argue any specific point as I am not even close to an expert on dogs. But there is probably, I am guessing, a difference between inbred and inbred to the point where they are genetically pre-dispositioned to be violent? I mean, humans aren't exactly an incredibly diverse gene pool either. Supposedly everyone is a 6th cousin of everyone else (I'm backing that up with no research, 100% hearsay.) I think it takes pretty extensive (think Kings & Queens of England or whatever) inbreeding to achieve severe genetic tomfoolery? The kind of breeding that occurs in backyard breeders more often than legit places.

Would you disagree with that? Cancer from being inbred I can totally see. I am very in-depth with the English Mastiff community online and it seems like there is a very high percentage of dogs dying of cancer at young ages, like 4 years old.

I mean, if "pure bred" dogs were all severely inbred, and inbreeding causes excessive aggression then I feel like there is a pretty good chance that English Mastiffs wouldn't be called "Gentle Giants." They'd be called "Assholes." So to me, somewhere there is a disconnect either with the logic or the level of inbreeding because giant pure bred dogs are not often violent without some sort of conditioning that causes it.

As for that kennel - she is rightfully being stripped of her status. You are absolutely correct that even "legit" breeders can be incompetent idiots. It pays to research where you buy a pup from if you are going to a breeder. My wife forces me to only get rescues anyway, so we can kind of test-drive our dog at 6 months old. We know we're not getting a blind or extremely messed up pup. Though, she does lie on her back a lot and put her legs up in the air like a dead cockroach, so maybe she is insane.

ok this thread got way off topic and really hasent been productive at all :) i did find this system that seems good it will let me have  a local alarm and i can have a company monitor my home for a low fee of 15 dollars a month. which ever one that i want i was hoping that someone else would have a suggestion or recommendation but since no one else has anything except get a gun and a dog i thought i would put this out there.  

http://simplisafe.com/

I know you already said you found a company to go with, but if you haven't purchased anything with them yet, then I thought I throw my IT expertise into the mix.  Scout Alarm https://www.scoutalarm.com/ is a good option to consider and would work with your specifications.  It requires an upfront purchase of the equipment, but after that you don't have any monthly fees unless you want to add their $10/m monitoring plan.  You buy only the equipment you want/need, setup is supposed to be simple, and then you get notifications on your phone when something happens and you can notify authorities if necessary.

• Like 1