Making a table

Renzo

I'm making a table for my wife for Christmas to use for cardmaking. She makes pretty greeting cards.

Nothing fancy. I'm making it out of maple. 4/4 for the top and apron and 8/4 or the legs. (final dimensions will be 24x60), With tapered legs

I made the mortises on my new Jessem router table and the tenons on my table saw. I've had to do quite a bit of finessing to get these to fit together nicely. These are my first mortise and tenons. They look a lot easier in videos.

Anyway being a bit too enthusiastic i put a hairline crack in one leg near the mortise by trying to do a dry fit that i shouldn't have used a mallet for!

My question. Do i need to remake this leg, or will a little CA glue and clamping be good enough?

I thought of that, but I'll be doing a few more dry fits so i don't want the crack to enlarge.

I took Marc's advice and used some CA glue and tried to spread the crack open a bit to get some CA glue in it. Seems to have worked well.

"It looked a lot easier on YouTube." Just so long as this doesn't become the 21st century redneck tombstone.

The leg should be fine once you trim the tenon to proper size. Probably don't even need the CA glue: Glue from the mortise will squeeze into the crack and you'll be set.