Router extension on table saw

chrisphr

With the Jet/Powermatic 15% off sale starting next week, I was thinking about upgrading to a cabinet saw.  The one I am looking at is the Jet 3hp, with the 30" rip capacity.  

I wanted to take the benchdog router extension and lift off my old saw (powermatic contractor saw) and install it on the jet, but it doesn't look like it will fit since the cabinet saw is a couple inches wider.  So my question is what are your thoughts on the most effective and bang for the buck way to get a router table on the new table saw?   Some options:

1. Get jet router extension, although it looks like this extension has an opening that is not standard so might have to get jet lift - uber expensive, not a fan.

2.  Make modifications to fit the benchdog extension to the jet.  This sounds like a project that might suck.   If anyone has tried love to hear.

3.  Leave the extension on the contractor saw (to be sold), but keep the lift and either find an aftermarket extension that will accept the lift and plate (my favorite option), or build my own extension.

Love to get some points of view on this.  Thanks!

I got into this hobby a year ago and my first tool purchase like many was a table saw, I went with Grizzly because of the value and from what I understand the particular model I bought is made in Taiwan, in the same factory as jet and powermatic... My saw is 3hp power and I paid $1,250, it is the G1023RL.  Grizzly makes the same saw with a router extension for $1,375 and a 5HP for $1,395!!!! 

I don't mean to drive you away from JET as I'm sure they make a good machine but I don't see much difference in the 2 saws for the significant premium on the JET saw. 

Sounds like make an extension might be the way to go.  

I don't mean to drive you away from JET as I'm sure they make a good machine but I don't see much difference in the 2 saws for the significant premium on the JET saw. 

I bounced among the sawstop, powermatic, griz, then the jet.  I was looking at the g0690 which is a bit more expensive than the g1023 and about $375 less than the Jet (delivered) with the 15% Black Friday discount.  The Jets dust collection is inarguably better than the Griz, I may be blowing some cash, but for that small difference in price and that one notable difference in performance, for me that was a no brainier.   What I haven't decided is if the Jet vs the Sawstop for  $1k more is a no brainier...

Sounds like make an extension might be the way to go.  

I bounced among the sawstop, powermatic, griz, then the jet.  I was looking at the g0690 which is a bit more expensive than the g1023 and about $375 less than the Jet (delivered) with the 15% Black Friday discount.  The Jets dust collection is inarguably better than the Griz, I may be blowing some cash, but for that small difference in price and that one notable difference in performance, for me that was a no brainier.   What I haven't decided is if the Jet vs the Sawstop for  $1k more is a no brainier...

I had read things about dust collection not being great on the grizzly but it is not terrible and I honestly don't find it an issue. And I agree with you, I cannot justify the sawstop's price. I know people will talk about the safety feature being worth more but reality is that 1k more for a saw is too much for me at this moment! Good luck with your new saw! Post some pics! 

I think it's this one:  http://www.ptreeusa.com/rtr_router_tables_3040.htm

but it might be this one: http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/router_table4.html

It's a bit older than either of those, and has a weird double aluminum track in it rather than either of those.  Also,  a large Triton router in the plate for it.  My Dad bought it, but I don't know where.  He died in 2006, and I used it a couple of times on a Unisaw, but took it off because we move that saw around, and it was not worth the extra weight.

The router has some issue, or I don't know how to operate it, because it won't pop all the way up to change the bit above the table like it's supposed to.  I didn't spend any time fooling with it to see.

$150 bucks.post-14184-0-49507900-1413659084_thumb.j

Edited by Tom King

You near Gastonia, NC Chris? I used to live just up the road, in Forest City.

Yep, close by to Gastonia, looks like we were close to equal distant from Gastonia on either side on I85. I'm in Cornelius, near Davidson and Mooresville. Small world ? Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have the general Machinery version of the cast iron wing.  It's a beast and i love it.  I did a post on it a while back, you should see the set up if you search the forum for cast iron router table extension.

From what I understand, the benchdog version has slots for adjustability.  If needed, cast iron is not difficult to drill out, sonyou could widen the holes or make some new ones.