slab finish and knot repair

Slmize

I just spent the last two day reading all 66 pages of the finishing forum to try to get my questions answered. I think I have a good idea of what I should do but would like some input to make sure I'm on the right track. My kids brought me a slab of sugar maple as a present and I'm going to make a buffet table for the dining room. My question concern knot and crack filling.  From the posts I should fill the knots and cracks with dyed epoxy? As for the finish, danish oil with a wiping finish. My question is if this will be a good finish for something that will have dishes put on it?  Also what is the best dye to add to my west systems epoxy? I've never made anything from a live edge slab before so unsure as to the treatment for the edge. Same as the top? Or just danish oil? I've just got the blade marks sanded out but didn't want to sand further until I new what should be the next step. I will try to attach a picture. Amy comment or suggestion would be appreciated. I hope to have this done by the next time the kids come back, in a few months. 20151123_134513.thumb.jpg.115ecad0827c9c

20151123_134535.jpg

Great piece man. I luv live edge. For this, I'd use the 206 hardener and 105 resin. The 105 is clear and gives it some depth but still appears dark.

edit. Might want to think a bow tie across those checks, if nothing else, just for looks. Practice a couple of times on some scrap first. 

Edited by K Cooper

A bow tie is also called a Dutchman. Essentially is is two wedges, pointing toward each other that look like a bow tie, a router and chiseles or just chisels are used to inlay the bow tie across a crack. In theory, it will stop the crack from widening any further. They also look cool.

if your using ws epoxy, they have a whole page on their website dedicated to dyes. I would start at the horses mouth.

image.jpg

I'm no expert but I've been experimenting with using the powdered aniline dyes available from LeeValley for colouring West System epoxy and have had some good success.  I suggest getting a few different colours of the dye packages and make some samples.

The dye packages are 1oz powder and I found some 1.5oz bottles with screw-on lids at an art supply store the worked good for storing the dye and making it easy to use.