Cuttingboards for Christmas

jgfore

I am looking at making some cutting board for Christmas presents this year, and was wanting to know some ideas on different materials to use. I made one a few months back for myself, and used maple and black walnut. The maple worked out great, but the black walnut seems to be a little too soft and it has a VERY strong smell. The smell is very unique and I like to smell it when in the shop, but not so much while cutting food. So, I still plan on using the maple, but need find another LOCAL DOMESTIC wood to use. I do not order my wood online or drive many miles, so I use local domestic wood. To give you some idea of the woods around here: cedar, black walnut, white walnut (butternut), ash, poplar, cherry, oaks, persimmon, maple, hickory and probably several others that I have just forgoten.

So, any ideas would be great.

Thanks

Jeff

You could always go with maple and maple :) With them being end grain it still makes for a good looking cuttingboard. I've not used walnut, you never know who has a nut allergy or will have someone over for dinner who does, for me just better to not risk it.

Yeah a second vote for cherry. I'm not sure if woods high in tannins would impart bad flavours to food if they're sealed, but if they don't and given that you're in Alabama I'm thinking osage might be an option too, assuming its local there. It's dense and close grained, finishes a nice rich orangey-brown colour and would look good with maple.

Just how much wood can possibly transfer to the food while cutting something on it?

I don't know, but I've heard that people with severe nut allergies can be sent to the emergency room if they eat something cut on a cutting board that was previously used to chop nuts. Presumably, if someone like that was in my home, they'd tell me, "I have severe nut allergies. I can't eat anything that has come in contact with nuts. I can't even eat something that was cut on a walnut cutting board."