Gaming Table Bench Seat Design

Chris H

Has anyone worked out any designs for seating to match the gaming table?  I have been playing around with designs for a bench seat and not getting anywhere.  I can't seem to find a top that has an appropriate design flare to match the table.  I've settled on basically the same legs and similar apron style, but no idea what to do with the top.

Any thoughts?

Gaming Table Bench.jpg

IMG_1112.JPG

Edited by Chris H

Yes I think Eric's idea is a good one. Proportionally scale down the bench so it appears like the table but bear in mind the following.

• Measure the average butt size to make sure it has enough depth - the depth of a dining chair would suffice
  • Make the top of the seating surface the same height as a regular dining chair's seat from the floor.
  • Make the length of it so that it fits in between the legs of the table so you can slide it underneath when not being used.

Once you have those three salient dimensions you can use sketchup to scale down a copy of the table and obtain a bench seat diagram.

The legs would need to be about 2 to 2 1/2" square to hold 3 people but you can taper the bottom end to make them appear less heavy. You could even put another two legs in the middle of the span if you like.

Build a mock up out of cheap ply and construction lumber first of all to test it out (screw construction will suffice). You can then adjust it to the human scale and you then have all the information you need to construct the real product.

Don't underestimate the size of the mortise and tenon joints - try to maximize the glueing area by making lengthy tenons. If using a Domino use bigger ones. Chair joints come under considerable strain and if you can beef them up it'll make them last longer. You don't have a stretcher joining the bottom of the legs so be prepared for them to splay.

Just make sure you round over or chamfer the edges of that seating surface. Splinters, sharp edges and bare legs do not mix.

Why not make the tops of the benches the same as the table, with the bridle joints and ply?

Thanks for the feedback.  I am not sure what you mean by "and ply"?  Are you referring to filling the middle section with a plywood?

I think the photo may be misleading.  The table has veneered inserts.  I just built the frame a few months before the inserts, so they just need to age a bit to match in color.

I was hoping not to use the bridal joints, but I think they will be needed to get a cohesive look.  I am just pretty sure Marc is some kind of sanding sadist with those joints.  Beautiful, but PITA.

I second mirroring the style of the table - including the bridle joints. You will only have to do it once...well...four times. Besides, consider it good practice. Another idea is perhaps having "piano bench" storage style to additionally mirror the functionality of the table?

grk-wood-top-piano-bench-curved-legs.jpg

• Like 2

I never really considered using the bench for storage, like the table.....

Damn, I was hoping you guys would give me a simple awesome design, and I think you just keep complicating it!

Because there isn't much breathing room between the plexi top and the inserts, a bench with storage might just hold those pesky games that are piling up in the closet.

• 4 weeks later...