New to woodworking

dpatrick80

I'm pretty new to woodworking, but I'm very fascinated by it...I would love to tackle some of the projects that I see on here, but I dont know where to find the different types of hardwood that everyone talks about.....where I live, my options are kind of limited to home improvement stores...the choices of hardwood are very slim.....any suggestions?

I'm pretty new to woodworking, but I'm very fascinated by it...I would love to tackle some of the projects that I see on here, but I dont know where to find the different types of hardwood that everyone talks about.....where I live, my options are kind of limited to home improvement stores...the choices of hardwood are very slim.....any suggestions?

If you are brand new to woodworking, the power tools, hand tools, etc. Cut your teeth on shop furniture. It's a much less expensive alternative to making mistakes with a fine piece of wood. Scour this forum, the internet, magazine articles, etc. There are huge volumes of information that will, hopefully, help you avoid some of the many pitfalls involved in the learning curve.

If you are brand new to woodworking, the power tools, hand tools, etc. Cut your teeth on shop furniture. It's a much less expensive alternative to making mistakes with a fine piece of wood. Scour this forum, the internet, magazine articles, etc. There are huge volumes of information that will, hopefully, help you avoid some of the many pitfalls involved in the learning curve.

I'm not so much new to the tools and things of that nature...I have done plenty of construction type jobs in the past, but its the fine detailed work that I'm new to...I see where you're coming from with starting off with cheaper wood...I intend to for some of the larger products....but in the meantime I'm just looking to do small jobs like a cutting board or something and need to be able to find the right types of wood to make one....

I'm not so much new to the tools and things of that nature...I have done plenty of construction type jobs in the past, but its the fine detailed work that I'm new to...I see where you're coming from with starting off with cheaper wood...I intend to for some of the larger products....but in the meantime I'm just looking to do small jobs like a cutting board or something and need to be able to find the right types of wood to make one....

If you want to hone your skills...get a couple quality hand planes and build some small keepsake type boxes. That will teach you detail and fit. I'm sure others will have plenty of advice, too. Welcome to the forum!!

Try http://www.woodfinder.com/ as one place to start. Also, tell us where you live. That might bring some hints from someone who lives near you.

-- Russ

WoodFinder.com is one resource you could check to find hardwood dealers in your area. Also, let us know your location and maybe someone on this forum can make a recommendation. Mail ordering over the internet is another alternative, but be prepared to pay a premium for shipping. Hearne Hardwoods is one reputable dealer who sells "lumber bundles" that are packaged up for shipping via UPS.

Edit: I see Russ beat me to the punch. Another option that just came to mind is to check Craigslist--I see people offering hardwood on there all the time.

Rory

I second the idea of starting with inexpensive wood. I'm currently banging out a little project in home center poplar. I was trying some techniques for the first time, and when I got to the point where I said, "Oh well, I guess that won't work" I just went to Home Depot and got another board and started over. If I had been working with something expensive, that would have been a real setback.

Marc has mentioned a few times that it's useful to build a prototype in some inexpensive wood. So, even experienced woodworkers don't dive right in to cutting up the good stuff.

May not be the least expensive way to go but...I bought the cutting wood whisperer cutting board kit at bellforestproducts.com. Later on I purchase the shaker end table cherry kit and was very impressed with the quality. Good source for wood and you can follow marc's videos and make a pretty good project.

For outdoor or shop pieces, often I will just buy 2-by stock. Then I will mill it down to 5/4 or 4/4. It will retain much of the strength that it had at 6/4 but will have a very different look. Our eyes are so accustomed to seeing 3/4" lumberyard stock on furniture ... shelving ... etc. When we see 4/4 or 5/4 used in a finished project, often the "eye will say" there is something different about that piece and "I find it visually interesting" but I am not sure why. Most people do not realize that it is the presentation of "non-stock" wood thicknesses that catches the eye.

You will also get a lot of very valuable practice in milling lumber to a size. This, in my opinion, is the most important skill in woodworking. It has to be cut squarely and accurately ... or things will never come out right!

Again ...

Here is my $ 0.02. Three years ago I was going to go to a local college and take classes. Somehow I delayed that decision and I thing I would have been further along. At the same time, the internet, books, forums, videos, there is so much to see, so much to learn.

My advice. Read a lot, think, allow time to let the ideas develop. Take classes. Only buy the best tools you can so you invest in them once.

Good luck and welcome to this forum.

I live in ny, around albany...great information from everyone so far...I really appreciate the help!

My wife's brother lives in Saratoga Springs. There's a store up there that he took me to visit last year that has a huge inventory of all kinds of hardwood species, including yellowheart, redheart, zebrawood, and lots of others. Unfortunately, I can't recall the name of the place. I'll have to ask him the next time I speak to him.

There's also a place in Pulaski, NY called Lakeshore Hardwoods (http://www.lakeshorehardwoods.com/) that I've bought wood from and had it shipped to me (I live in Westchester County, about 2 hours south of you, give or take). The last time I had wood shipped from them, gas was up to $5 / gallon. I prefer not to remember the shipping cost on that order.

Tony