dw618 router

davisj4

First post here, looking to get started in woodworking.  Got the dw618b3 router for the holidays and a large set of cheap bits to figure out where my interest lies.  Anyway I was pretty sure the black adjustment ring was supposed to actually move, but was unable to get it to adjust.  Unfortunately I got the router stuck on the plunge base (but  was able to get it replaced).  Anyway the new router arrived today and I still cannot get the ring to spin.

Is there a trick or is it just a lot of brute force to get it moving the first time?

I have read the instructions 3x and they are of minimal help.

Thanks

Jonathan

I had this router for a few years, and it broke prematurely.  The magnet ring broke, and then the collet went.  I sold it for parts and bought a bosch kit, which I am very pleased with.

I also have had the smaller Freud router, which is nice, but under powered for my table use.  I use a 3.5hp Freud now which is great for table use.

When I bought the dewalt, one of the bases was broken.  I also found the black ring to be "sticky" and a pain in the neck to adjust.  The best part of the whole kitnis the d handle base.

2 minutes ago, Pug said:

When I bought the dewalt, one of the bases was broken.  I also found the black ring to be "sticky" and a pain in the neck to adjust.  The best part of the whole kitnis the d handle base.

That was one of the reasons I got this kit, to figure out what I liked in terms of hand feel.  I also have a buddy who is a high school shop teacher and he said he had been happy with the dw618.

I don't have the strongest hands, maybe I can get my wife to help me get some more leverage so i don't have to hold the router and try to spin the ring at the same time.

I may be misunderstanding, but...To adjust the black ring you must un-clamp the motor in the body. That same clamp which allows you to switch from a plunge base to a fixed base. Un-clamp, adjust the black ring, and re-clamp to use the tool. The black ring gets sticky at times so I lube the threads on the motor body with a dry lube like a PTFE spray.

1 hour ago, davewyo said:

I may be misunderstanding, but...To adjust the black ring you must un-clamp the motor in the body. That same clamp which allows you to switch from a plunge base to a fixed base. Un-clamp, adjust the black ring, and re-clamp to use the tool. The black ring gets sticky at times so I lube the threads on the motor body with a dry lube like a PTFE spray.

I have tried both ways, my hands are not large enough to grip both the ring and the body.  Hopefully tomorrow I can get some help and get the ring unstuck.  Was thinking lube would help, will pick some up from the hardware store this week and hopefuly routing by the weekend or before.

Will keep you posted.  

Thanks

I just got the same kit a couple weeks ago as well.  My ring is a bit fussy (I'll have to try the PTFE lube mentioned above), and I found turning the router upside down makes it easier to turn as the weight of the motor is pulling on it rather than pushing it down into the base.  Also make sure the slot in the motor is lined up in the base properly with the little pin.