2nd attempt with Rockler Dovetail Jig

bigarm

I had time to try the dovetail jig again today and I have to say I am getting somewhat frustrated.  I seem to be unable to get the through dovetails deep enough.  I am using my Festool 1400 and the jig.  If I set the bit out too far it won't cut the wood and if I set it so it will cut the wood the resulting cut is not deep enough for the pins to match up.  Any ideas on what the heck I am doing wrong.  Also, the first dovetails which were too short were cut nicely, but later attempts are not as nice and look kind of jagged.  If you have any ideas, I would love to hear them.
Also, I would like to ask a couple of other questions.  Are the Leigh jigs worth the added expense?  And what is the difference between the DR4 and the Super series.  Is the DR4 worth the extra hundred dollars?  If I upgrade, I want to do it right.

As far as it being rough cuts, you have a few ways to fix that problems. 

1) enter each cut "backwards" with a very light pass right to left then do the full cut

2) use blue painters tape to prevent tearout

3) use a thin backer board (think something like 1/8" Masonite)

4) score the wood with a knife to prevent tearout

As far as getting the adjustment right, those jigs are finicky. I lost the directions to my jig and set it up by trial and error a few weeks ago and it was a PITA, but once it was dialed I dovetailed 11 drawers in under an hour