Yard work, bleh

chrisphr

1 hour ago, wdwerker said:

I love a bold flavored acidic homegrown tomato on a BLT. But it seems like so much effort for a few sandwiches and then more tomatoes than I can eat all at once.  Almost impossible to get that taste from a grocery store or even a farmers market tomato.

You sir just made me really excited for fall. It is impossible to get that flavor form the grocery store.

Migratory bird act. Get this seagulls that infest landfills are also protected. There are millions of them and they are even more annoying than geese. I wonder if the whole farmer card of protecting your crops would count, call them a nuisance. I know farmers round here can get away with it sometimes.

I don't know if the Dog idea would work those honkers are mean as @)$&. I hate geese and want to hunt them every fall even though i HATE the taste of waterfowl.

7 hours ago, Mike. said:

I tried growing tomatoes.  But they mostly seem to feed the geese, squirrels and other varmin that invade my yard in the summer.   

If anyone has tips on keeping geese out of my yard let me know.   Damn things are disgusting, walking around eating their own poop.  

3" 3 shot is great if your hunting, remember geese are federal protected, and has a season, now if you want something to keep them out I was told to spray your yard with grape consecrate,  Or get a dog, they love to chase them, a bored collie, blue healer, even lab, 

My boxer chases the few geese stupid enough to try to visit my backyard pond. She has a doggie door and defends her yard 24/7. Usually manages to get several opossums each year. Brought me one still breathing and dropped it at my feet, in the living room ! Even squirrels are kept at bay, she can reach the top of the 6' fence, squirrel goes flying into the neighbors yard. 

• Like 1

Just now, Mike. said:

I know, honestly I know it is unamerican but I really really dislike dogs.  

No sweat. I don't even find it unamerican. I like dogs (and hate/love cats) because my dad was a dairy farmer as a child. Dogs fit the needs (as did barn cats, but not house cats.) If that were not a part of my young childhood, I would likely not even have tried dogs. As it is, these two should live about as long as my kids are in the house and then my wife and I will re-evaluate. 

16 hours ago, Mike. said:

I know, honestly I know it is unamerican but I really really dislike dogs.  

Your not alone. I love dogs just other people's dogs. I'm just way too busy to be able to pay attention to something like that all the time. I joke with my friends that I'd have a child before i got a dog.