Yard work, bleh

chrisphr

Just a immature rant... Since my last woodworking project we decided to put in a play set for the kids. That turned into we should probably do some trimming to our overgrown landscaping and that turned into we should just rip it all out (20 years of growth) and start over. Then that turned into "gee now that the bushes are gone, the house sure could use a pressure washing..." and replant the grass...and gonna need about 200 bags of mulch...and "wouldn't it be nice if you could build a pergola above the deck..."

Every weekend for the past 4 the side of my house looks like the below picture. I truly wish I lived in an area where rocks and decorative gravel was an acceptable landscaping choice...

End rant.

7a037018a0665792c86e04917697b8bb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, the Advil has started to kick in and I am coming to my senses. I have been in a hell of a mood today, I was either going to rant about yard work or about fashion trends. Casual Friday has turned into stuff myself into skinny jeans with my belly hanging out day... There I go again with the negativity... :-)

1 hour ago, Chet K. said:

Nah, weeds grow through the rocks.  We have a lot of homes that are doing that because of the drought, then we get a little rain and weeds are popping up everywhere in the yards and the street looks horrible.

If done right and maintained, they can be fine but it's not a set and forget. Weeds need hit every few weeks with a weed killer or yes, they cool like crud.

Yea that is what I mean Brendon people dump some rocks on their yard and they think they are done with yard work forever... Nope.  But I have heard from a landscaper that if you put the gravel in at least 3" deep you don't get a weed problem.  Problem is 3" deep over an area the size of most Cali yards can still set you back a fair amount of coin.

1 hour ago, Chet K. said:

Yea that is what I mean Brendon people dump some rocks on their yard and they think they are done with yard work forever... Nope.  But I have heard from a landscaper that if you put the gravel in at least 3" deep you don't get a weed problem.  Problem is 3" deep over an area the size of most Cali yards can still set you back a fair amount of coin.

I have a rock flower bed where the roses are and it seems the problem is that seeds and such will fall down through the rocks and germinate in the dust down there on top of a weed barrier.  I assume the 3" rule would be to light starve the seedling.

I wish it was warm enough here this time of year to do yard work (other than shoveling)!

Fair enough. It was chilly (high 20s F) but not Canada cold and without that nasty white stuff much of the US and Canada has to deal with. My worry is with as mild of a winter we had I'm afraid spring will break early then snap into summer weather inside 30 days. I may be whining now about yard work, but at 85F+ and humid I'll really be pouring it on.

today I went to the boat and tackle show, got a nice ul rod and reel, then I cleaned and tilled my garden and put black plastic down to Kill any growth until I am ready to plant, need to put new fencing up and diffuse screen, Then I put the cover over the new camper we got yesterday, After I went to the shop and set 3 necks in CBG installed pickups, and finished the day with a cranberry and Vodka.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ncfowler said:

today I went to the boat and tackle show, got a nice ul rod and reel, then I cleaned and tilled my garden and put black plastic down to Kill any growth until I am ready to plant, need to put new fencing up and diffuse screen, Then I put the cover over the new camper we got yesterday, After I went to the shop and set 3 necks in CBG installed pickups, and finished the day with a cranberry and Vodka.  

If you're planting tomatoes, leave the black plastic down and cut a 18" dia. hole for each plant. It warms the soil faster and keeps our the weeds. Been doing that for 15 years or so. Put mine in the ground last weekend.

• Like 2