Which finish do I use on a project with mulitple species

Green Head

I did a router inlay on a piece of african mahogany. It's a knock-off of the flower Marc has on the table he made. The back is african mahogany, the petals consist of red, yellow, and purple heart. Also, the stem or branch is walnut.

I have worked with the af. mahogany many times and always finish it with a tung oil and citrus solvent mix. That's just what I happen to have since I made some cutting boards and finished them with that.

Anyways, I really like the way the oil brings out the deep colors of the af. mahogany as well as the way it leaves a nice shine. My question is, what should I use since I have the other woods involved? I want something that brings out the deep colors of the af. mahogany but doesn't make the red, yellow, and purple heart lose their rich colors. Also, I want the piece to have a nice sheen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I put an oil-based finish on purpleheart and it makes it scream; you won't be disappointed. Same with yellowheart although it just gets bright, not radiant like the purpleheart. I know of redheart, but have never used it. In fact, I saw it for the first time a month ago. For that, grab an offcut and dip it.

• 2 weeks later...

Glue up a stick of offcuts, plane it flat and test. The one thing that you want to avoid at all costs is colors running. I got burned on a project because the pigments in Padauk are alcohol soluble. You can imagine what happened when the first coat of shellac hit the wood: A giant pink blob started marching across a neighboring piece of maple.