5/4 substrate material

alindsey

I've had a request to create two additional leaves for a cherry dining table. The existing table/leaf are veneered with cherry. Solid cherry wouldn't look right as the table and leaf are veneered with rotary-cut cherry. Here's my conundrum - what to use for the substrate for the veneer? The thickness of the substrate on the existing piece is 5/4. I can't tell for certain what was used, but I'm guessing from the age it was inexpensive solid wood.

If MDF or plywood is available in my area in a thickness greater than 3/4" I'm not aware of it. So I'm looking at either laminating 3/4" and 1/2" ply or MDF or using inexpensive 6/4 solid wood (red gum, in this case) planed down to 5/4". If I go the MDF/Plywood route my biggest concern is the strength on the edges where I need to drill in for the leaf alignment dowels and mating holes. If I go the solid wood route then my concern is, of course, wood movement. With commercially available veneer being so thin do I need to be that concerned about delamination or other wood movement-related concerns? Would I be better off going the man-made substrate route?

Getting the pieces laminated to the thickness I want isn't a big deal as I have a vacuum press, I'm more concerned about it being able to hold the pins for the leaf alignment well enough.

Any suggestions, my woody amigos?

For my 2 cents, I would edge the plywood on the alignment hole side(s) with a piece of solid like a hollow core door. I would go with Ply instead of MDF, just a personal preference.

Agreed on the ply. You could special order the light weight MDF in 5/4, but that gets expensive. Regular MDF os gonna be really heavy, even the size of a leaf.