Overcomplicating a simple dust collection plan

bleedinblue

3 minutes ago, Chris H said:

Doesn't the rim joist sit on the foundation?  I might be confusing my building terms, but I thought the rim joist is what sat on the foundation.  Either way, keep the hole well off the ground, however you have to. 

If the OP is contemplating drilling through the concrete...walkout maybe. Yes the rim sits on the foundation. Ten by rim on a two by sill with twelve or more inches of foundation above grade. Foundation must be insulated and insulation must be capped. Hate the look. Fancy houses stuccoed it. 

It's a walkout.

I'd still be worried about sealing off from moisture.  It's not something I'd do myself, itd be too easy for me to screw up.  You can only learn so much from youtube! 

To vent outside I'd also have to consider replacement air...the basement has no windows that can be opened, just a sliding glass door on the other side of the basement.  Easy enough to open, but easy enough to FORGET to open, too.

You don't have to mount your pipe up high. My shop has most of the tools on one wall. I have a 2hp collector on which I replaced the bags with good felt bags. Not perfect, but it works for now. To make my life easier, I ran the duct along the floor. I couldn't see lifting the dust up to the ceiling only to bring it back down to the floor. Since almost everything in my shop has a little space down by the floor/wall junction, the duct was easy to run. For the two tools that need a higher inlet, I fashioned a stand pipe using a swept tee, a short piece of pipe and an elbow. It pulls adequately for my shop (no fine layer of dust) and hasn't clogged in almost 20 years. I used black ABS drain pipe, which has a very smooth interior and dissipates most of the static. I only use one machine at a time and made an automatic turner on'er turner offer (tm) that starts the DC every time I turn a machine on. Someday, I will at the Oneida Super Dust Deputy cyclone I bought a few years back, but I haven't come up with a design I like yet.