Wipe on poly over Danish oil

Bevans

I believed I screwed up again! I attempted to apply minwax wipe on poly over a cherry bookcase top that I had applied Danish oil about 2 weeks ago. I had forgotten why I stopped using wipe on poly products because no matter how I try I always get streaks. Well, I got them again with one light coat applied. My question is will they always be there or can I attempt to use my HLVP Fuji sprayer gun and spray a couple coats of the stuff over the existing layer? I am reluctant to sand even with 800 paper because I know there will scuff marks. Not trying to reach perfection but do want to cover the streaks if possible. I gave up using wipe on with projects that have more than 24 inch spans a couple years ago and did a relapse. Anyone have suggestions on the fix at this point?

thanks in advance

Sand with 400 grit paper and then spray on the finish with your Fuji. 

It is going to scuff the surface, this is what you want. Do not sand aggressively just lightly scuff the surface. 

When you scuff the surface you leave little scratches that the new finish will settle into and create a smooth level surface. When sanding you want the surface to look like this.

polyurethane-wetsanding.jpg

You can use a little mineral oil mixed with mineral spirits while sanding to make it easier if you want, but I typically just sand dry or with a little water.

Do you have a photo of the streaks? You must be doing something wrong because wipe on poly is very forgiving.  How are you applying? Rag, brush, or foam brush? Are you over working in? You just wipe or brush it on and leave it alone 

I tried to get a picture of the streaks but the lighting now just creates a bright spot and the streaks get washed out. I used a folded tee shirt, dampened the folded cloth with mineral spirits and got the cloth wet (not dripping wet) with wipe on poly I poured in a plastic bowl and applied a span of 72" going in the same direction and thought it looked pretty good when I left. A few hours later the streaks wherer I overlapped the strokes are very noticeable. I had a very similar problem with ARS that I tried wiping on a walnut dining table top. I ended up sanding back to bare wood twice before I gave up and sprayed a couple coats on that looked great. There is definitely something wrong with my wipe on technique.

couple ideas:

1) your finish might not be thoroughly mixed.  Most finishing have flattening agents and if they are not fully disolved you will get streaks.

2) I have never pre-moistened my rag with MS.   Maybe others do that but I could see it causing problems.

3) Most folks dilute their Arm R Seal or Minwax if using a rag.  Personally I find a foam brush to be easier (for me) and I do no dilute.  

72" is a long span.  You will need to recharge your rag in order to get an even coat over 72".  I'd work from the center out so you are only doing 36" at a time.  Then go back the other way with a slightly recharged rag, overlapping a bit in the center.  But that is just me.  Finishing is an art and a science and you need to know when something is going wrong as it is going wrong.  

You might take a look at some of Matt Cremona's videos on finishing.  He works in small sections and then takes long strokes at the end of each coat.  He primarily uses Arm R Seal.  Marc has some good finishing videos as well.

I've never use MS to presoak my rags either.  Not sure where that idea comes from?

Mike

your comments seem to be very logical and on target. I am not sure I even want to attempt another application with a rag applicator at this point. I am more interested in fixing what I did and then applying the poly with my sprayer. I and headed toward using a block sander with 400 grit paper as midtnwoodworker and bobinaustin responded. I was worried that sanding a thin coat of poly over the Danish oil would make matters worse if I scuffed into the Danish oil.

i really do appreciate the help and advice I have gotten from the experienced woodworkers here.

Now is not the time to block sand, period. You don't have enough finish down (you have 1 thin coat down correct?) All you want is a very light wipe with some 600 paper. Always sand (wipe in this case) with the grain stay off the edges. At this stage don't wet sand with water or MS mineral oil. You don't have enough of a film build yet and those lubricants can get into the wood and cause you issues. 

Don't thin the product, apply full strength. You need to apply the poly as quickly as you can don't over work it. Keep a wet edge like painting a wall. I have done dining table tops for years and years hand wiping with ARS and a folded cotton rag, no issue.  Get the finish on and let it flow out. 

-Ace-

Thanks Ace... I was concerned only having 1 thin coat down and sanding at this point. Going with 600 is less aggressive than 400 and safer. It's those pesky streaks that concern me that no matter what they will remain and that is what most worrisome. I know that some guys and gals have no issues with the wipe on poly but I cannot get it right. I am very tempted to pour the wipe on poly into the spray cup after I sand and clean and go that route.

The sanding block was not what I was trying to show in the picture just the slurry of poly that is created when sanding. If sanding dry you want to see white dust, if sanding wet you want the slurry produced like in the photo. It seemed like you were concerned about sanding the finish so that is why I linked that picture. I definitely would not use a sanding block, but didn't really notice it when I posted that. Sorry for the confusion. Hope the streaks get worked out, you have received some good advise.

Did a light sanding with 600 paper, wiped clean, vacuumed, another wipe with a clean damp cloth and then loaded up the spray cup with the minwax wipe-on poly and sprayed a coat on this morning. Other than a few tiny floating hairs the top came out beautifully, much better than my hand and rag wipe on process. The streaks are almost invisible. I think that I am going to end the finishing process here other than rubbing it down in a few days after it completely dries. Thanks for the contributions, I learned a lot.

• Like 1

So how ya like the sticky mess of spraying an oil? Sucks right!  Make it a point to learn water-based Topcoats, You'll be glad ya did. 

Ummm, a word of caution, wait more than a couple days to rub an oil finish. 2 weeks or even longer. They take time to cure.

-Ace-

I have never had an issue spraying oil-based finish, and I even spray un-diluted. As long as I clean the gun after which takes about 5 mins, I don't ever have any problems. I can't really describe what I don't like about water based top-coats other than to say I just don't like them. I know you were talking to the OP, but I felt I needed to stand up for oil-based poly!  ;)

1 hour ago, midtnwoodworker said:

I have never had an issue spraying oil-based finish, and I even spray un-diluted. As long as I clean the gun after which takes about 5 mins, I don't ever have any problems. I can't really describe what I don't like about water based top-coats other than to say I just don't like them. I know you were talking to the OP, but I felt I needed to stand up for oil-based poly!  ;)

Hey man, feel away :P

-Ace-

ace, I have used water based top coats for a few years and like it. I felt I needed to continue with the oil based only because I had started with it. Seems like I read that it is not the best to mix differ the topcoat types. It did take a little to clean the gun but not too bad. What made you think I have not learned about water based topcoats?

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got this project finished. I did spray 2 coats of wipe on poly just because I keep messing up (streaks) when applying with a rag. I waited about 10 days before I rubbed out a polish with a brown bag that knocked down the nibs and roughness. Will be wrapped in plastic and delivered tomorrow.

Thanks again for all those that provided input.

image.jpeg

• Like 1