Small projects for organization

bob493

My makita is pretty small, not sure I want a "cart" more than a moveable table or something. I have my HF chop saw on a permanent pedestal stand, so that just gets tucked away in a corner.

The more I talk about it, the less sure I am of what i actually want. Just kind of sticking stuff to the wall at this time lol

1 minute ago, bob493 said:

My makita is pretty small, not sure I want a "cart" more than a moveable table or something. I have my HF chop saw on a permanent pedestal stand, so that just gets tucked away in a corner.

The more I talk about it, the less sure I am of what i actually want. Just kind of sticking stuff to the wall at this time lol

Yep..  Only you can decide what's right for your shop..  For me, I wanted a dedicated station.  For others, a roll around station or no station at all is the right choice.

Keep sticking things to the wall!  Usually a great unused space!

2 minutes ago, bob493 said:

I would personally love something like this, but i frankly dont have the room for it

6fc991679b93aa6c9d5475eba976d738.jpg

Looks like the wings fold down so, not much bigger than the saw itself..  Looks pretty doable!  You could even turn that into a flip top and have your planer on it as well..

Hate hate hate fold down wings. You might get it right and accurate the first go around, but over time they always move... I thought about doing that already. I'll sleep on it. Maybe do something cool later.

edit: just had a cool idea, build the saw into the wall, and add removable wings. I have some angle iron that would work well for that and wont warp over time. Think floating shelf style.

edit 2: even in that small picture, you can see the wings "Drooping" at the ends. No bueno for me

9 minutes ago, bob493 said:

Hate hate hate fold down wings. You might get it right and accurate the first go around, but over time they always move... I thought about doing that already. I'll sleep on it. Maybe do something cool later.

edit: just had a cool idea, build the saw into the wall, and add removable wings. I have some angle iron that would work well for that and wont warp over time. Think floating shelf style.

edit 2: even in that small picture, you can see the wings "Drooping" at the ends. No bueno for me

The bulk of the needed surface is on the saw itself.  I've done a couple shops with fold down shelves to go with the miter station and they work well!  The funny part is that they end up staying down and being used for other things like grinders, spindle sanders, HCMs, etc.

Not sure what your shop looks like or what you're dealing with but, there are usually answers.

My goal right now is I want everything to have a space for its intended purpose. Room is 24' x 16'. Plenty to do what i want, but not enough to make huge tables for every little thing unfortunately.

In my old house, I made a modular system for a small bandsaw, belt sander, bench grinder, and benchtop jointer that worked pretty well. I have more space now, but organization is key!

1 minute ago, bob493 said:

My goal right now is I want everything to have a space for its intended purpose. Room is 24' x 16'. Plenty to do what i want, but not enough to make huge tables for every little thing unfortunately.

In my old house, I made a modular system for a small bandsaw, belt sander, bench grinder, and benchtop jointer that worked pretty well. I have more space now, but organization is key!

Absolutely!  I've worked with smaller spaces..  Ask Mel! ;)

55 minutes ago, bob493 said:

20160506_180101.jpg

That picture makes the chisel thing make way more sense and is an awesome idea.

My shop is pretty cramped as well but i have all concrete walls so using them to hang stuff is not really an option. I do have 2 crawl spaces that make awesome lumber racks and can store some 300-400 BF with easy access to all of it.

Just now, Chestnut said:

That picture makes the chisel thing make way more sense and is an awesome idea.

My shop is pretty cramped as well but i have all concrete walls so using them to hang stuff is not really an option. I do have 2 crawl spaces that make awesome lumber racks and can store some 300-400 BF with easy access to all of it.

You just need the proper screws..  You can screw to the concrete.  You might also consider setting up a french cleat wall so you're not driving a bunch of screws into the wall and then moving them.

Just now, TIODS said:

You just need the proper screws..  You can screw to the concrete.  You might also consider setting up a french cleat wall so you're not driving a bunch of screws into the wall and then moving them.

I'm not going to be here much longer or I'd do anchors for a wall cleat system. There is no point to spending a week just to use it for only another year or less. I'm going to wait until i have a good shop then do it right, roubo and all.

1 minute ago, Chestnut said:

I'm not going to be here much longer or I'd do anchors for a wall cleat system. There is no point to spending a week just to use it for only another year or less. I'm going to wait until i have a good shop then do it right, roubo and all.

Another option would be to attach a sheet of 3/4 AC to mount things to..  Not many holes in the wall and improves the organization

The march keeps marching on.  Sweet box to store sandpaper discs. The box has my ultra fine (800-3000 grit) sanding discs, wrapped in plastic to keep dust out.  I didn't care for the drawer at first, but now i freaking love it. Going to keep pencils, lead, and extra screw bits in the drawer.   Jointer plane mounted with neodymium magnets with the wood lip on the bottom to hold it in place.

20160509_201424.jpg

20160509_201430.jpg

• Like 1