Small projects for organization

bob493

Gonna add more as I go. Stupid small things I've wanted to do for a while.

To start, 24 screwdriver holder, and 4pc chisel holder. My narex's have a case I just leave them in, these get used more *shrug*.  Literally had no place, and I have a bajillion screwdrivers but can "never find one" lol. This should help alleviate them.

Both pieces made from some maple scraps, dowels to hold the chisels

To do ->

- rack to hold dimension tools (calipers, dial indicators, engineer squares)

- rack for my small japanese saws

- sanding disc storage

20160505_213102.jpg

I desperately need to work on shop storage.  How do you like the double rows for the screwdrivers?

I've never seen chisels stored sideways before.  I'll be curious to hear how you like it after a while...

Sweet!  Organization is king!  I've done a little bit of this and it really helps your flow during projects!  Being able to find what you need when you need it really improves each project!

I love seeing new ideas to do these things!  Not sure I'm a fan of the sideways chisel storage but, i love that you're thinking outside the box!

Looking forward to seeing your additional posts!  I've spent the last few days trying to come up with something for my cordless drills and just can't seem to find something I like for my shop!  I built a quickie hanger for them but, it's not permanent!

• Like 1

This is how i hung my drills. It's low profile so i don't bump them off the wall and it's right by the door so i easily instruct people where to grab them for various projects.

13103285_10100988441821799_6496303737712

Does every one have more than 1 drill? I had just 1 for a while and now that i have 2 and an impact I'd never go any other way.

A great step forward for your organization.  Being able to just pick up a tool as opposed to look for it will increase your shop enjoyment 10-fold.

@Chestnut - I have four drill motors right at my fingertips.  A small VS drill motor gets used fro so many things; drilling, driving, flap-sanders, wire brushes, grinding stones, buffing wheels ;)

• Like 1

Wow, didn't expect any interest in this at all lol. 

Actually the sideways chisel thing was just a mental test. See if I could figure a way to get the chisel sideways but also secure. You cant see it, but they are pinned in and are impossible to remove unless you twist at a 45 degree angle. This is much easier and "fluid" than it sounds, however. The pins are drilled at a 10 degree up angle to let them "rest" in the back. 

Input on ideas always welcome . not into the pvc pipe aesthetic, as useful as it may be. 

14 hours ago, TIODS said:

Sweet!  Organization is king!  I've done a little bit of this and it really helps your flow during projects!  Being able to find what you need when you need it really improves each project!

I love seeing new ideas to do these things!  Not sure I'm a fan of the sideways chisel storage but, i love that you're thinking outside the box!

Looking forward to seeing your additional posts!  I've spent the last few days trying to come up with something for my cordless drills and just can't seem to find something I like for my shop!  I built a quickie hanger for them but, it's not permanent!

I saw this in a tips for woodworkers book a few years ago. Simple and keeps the drills up and out of the way during storage. I added the shelf for the chargers.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I've seen this a few times and it just wasn't for me.  It works well tho!

I use 3 drills in the shop and leave them chucked up all the time with an apex, pilot/countersink, and a pilot bit.  Because of this, I wanted mine stored the opposite direction as yours so I knew what I was grabbing.  The PVC just didn't lend itself to that.  

Of course what I slapped together as a temp isn't even worth grabbing a picture ;)

15 minutes ago, bob493 said:

Naturally while working on a design to hold my drill, it craps the bed lol. The power just cut out completely and it has no torque now lol. Oh well, time for that 20v dewalt 

That's what I use and really like them!

This is how i hung my drills. It's low profile so i don't bump them off the wall and it's right by the door so i easily instruct people where to grab them for various projects.

13103285_10100988441821799_6496303737712704604_n.jpg?oh=87cdb10f71819a84f2787ca4a9f81986&oe=57DE961D

Does every one have more than 1 drill? I had just 1 for a while and now that i have 2 and an impact I'd never go any other way.

Chestnut, you got some well-hung drills there, brother! ?

• Like 1

Not much today. Had to pick up a new water heater (yay... -.-)

Made a quasi miter box thing for my RO sander, a french cleat for my table saw fence, and a jaw for my miter gauge. Sander storage is absolutely overkill lol. It uses curly maple for the main assembly, attached to an 8/4 walnut scrap with some bubinga scrap lap jointed into the walnut to hold the cord.

Did get some other things for storing my planes, you guys might enjoy it.

edit: I am trying some stuff out to give myself practice on things that don't need to be aesthetically perfect. Lap joints, miters, etc. Results aren't spectacular, but they are functional. Would rather work on practicing these kind of things instead of screwing up big pieces.

20160505_214353.jpg

20160506_180101.jpg

20160506_180126.jpg

20160506_180017.jpg

Good functional stuff!

I built a rolling chop saw cart out of ply for my dad today and attached the Festool cord holder that came with my CT to it.  I told him to tell his envious neighbors is was a Festool miter station.. ;)

1 minute ago, TIODS said:

Good functional stuff!

I built a rolling chop saw cart out of ply for my dad today and attached the Festool cord holder that came with my CT to it.  I told him to tell his envious neighbors is was a Festool miter station.. ;)

Im actually gonna build one of these. Got any pics I can steal ideas from? 

Soon as I Get 1200 for a chop saw ;) haha (makita and HF ones work fine for now tho l:) )

Just now, bob493 said:

Im actually gonna build one of these. Got any pics I can steal ideas from? 

Soon as I Get 1200 for a chop saw ;) haha

lol - Trust me when I say you don't want pics of that..  It was for a cheapie skill miter saw that he has.  I just put a Festool cord holder on it.  

I recently redid my miter bench in another thread.  If you're looking for something different, hit me up and I'll bounce ideas with you.