Smoothing Planes

JosephThomas

3 hours ago, shaneymack said:

I saw a big lee valley box arrive for my wife the other day so im hoping after fathers day I'll be using the veritas shooting plane. =)

Oh yeah - we're supposed to be making fun of you for not having one or helping you get one in some way....

Let's see....

Shane - it's a shame that you waste all those fancy Festools and other goodies.  I mean, if you can't even shoot a nice crisp 90 degree edge, how can any of your projects turn out right?  I can't believe you're forced to work under the handicap of not having a good shooting plane. It's a fundamental requirement!  Without it, your fancy Domino and Rotex are just working with wonky wood!  You might as well just craigslist it all and switch to pocket screws and pallet wood. 

I really feel for you man - you're awfully brave to keep trying and to keep posting here, even with your obviously embarrassingly non-90-degree edges.  Maybe someday you'll get a good shooting plane, like the *excellent* Veritas one.  Until then, know that when I use mine, I think about you and your sloppy work.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JosephThomas said:

I was looking at getting the LAJ and one of the smoother because, my understanding was that those would be a good 2 to start with (I already have a couple block planes).

if you are going to get the smother and jack they sell a set with block plane for a good price. 

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=74187&cat=1,41182

Oh yeah - we're supposed to be making fun of you for not having one or helping you get one in some way....

Let's see....

Shane - it's a shame that you waste all those fancy Festools and other goodies.  I mean, if you can't even shoot a nice crisp 90 degree edge, how can any of your projects turn out right?  I can't believe you're forced to work under the handicap of not having a good shooting plane. It's a fundamental requirement!  Without it, your fancy Domino and Rotex are just working with wonky wood!  You might as well just craigslist it all and switch to pocket screws and pallet wood. 

I really feel for you man - you're awfully brave to keep trying and to keep posting here, even with your obviously embarrassingly non-90-degree edges.  Maybe someday you'll get a good shooting plane, like the *excellent* Veritas one.  Until then, know that when I use mine, I think about you and your sloppy work.

Ouch....some harsh words right there !

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, sjk said:

Dude - I got your back :)

(and given all my positive comments in other threads, I'd hope everyone sees the humor in my previous comment.  I really like the awesome projects Shane makes).

You are always a positive and encouraging person so I knew you were messin ! Keep em coming !

13 minutes ago, benny27 said:

if you are going to get the smother and jack they sell a set with block plane for a good price. 

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=74187&cat=1,41182

Yeah I saw that, it's a good point, but I don't need the block plane (have 2 stanley sweethearts)...also the set comes with the small smoother, not the BUS these guys are rec'ing.

The other big thing you are going to have to cross is you will never know what a plane can do untell you play with one that has been set up by someone who knows what they are doing. and even if you buy it brand new you can not just pick it up out of the box and expect it to preform. and you can not ever know what your style of woodworking is tell you can play with it. my advice is to get a cheep plane. if you do not have someone local to play with. because the chances are you will want something else once you get use to it and two you will sways want more planes once you get the hang of it. like for me I really do not like LA planes other then for a block plane. I just have to have a chip breaker makes life so much better, but 80% of people out there feel otherwise, but you will not know tell you have experience and you will never have experience tell you dive in and mess up big time. and in my mind that is what makes it fun. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, James Wright said:

The other big thing you are going to have to cross is you will never know what a plane can do untell you play with one that has been set up by someone who knows what they are doing. and even if you buy it brand new you can not just pick it up out of the box and expect it to preform. and you can not ever know what your style of woodworking is tell you can play with it. my advice is to get a cheep plane. if you do not have someone local to play with. because the chances are you will want something else once you get use to it and two you will sways want more planes once you get the hang of it. like for me I really do not like LA planes other then for a block plane. I just have to have a chip breaker makes life so much better, but 80% of people out there feel otherwise, but you will not know tell you have experience and you will never have experience tell you dive in and mess up big time. and in my mind that is what makes it fun. 

Thanks for the input. I already have a mid-level planes, cost-wise.  I have a couple block planes and what I think is a no. 4 (bevel down) plane. I know the absolute minimum about setting them up and using them, and I'm sure that's a big part of the poor results I get with them :)

That said, I don't see how buying cheap planes will help me learn how to set one up correctly, or help me decide whether I prefer Veritas or Lie-Nielsen or whatever else...all I know right now is, none of them are big enough to help me flatten one side of a wide board before a run it thru my planer, hence me asking about LAJs in another thread, then realizing I might want to get a smoother while I'm at it. But perhaps that is too aggressive...

1 hour ago, James Wright said:

I agree. I played a lot with cheap Stanley planes before starting my LN madness :)

I too don't like the large low angle planes. But I had to buy one to know.