Bird's Mouth router bit is the Cat's Meow

PeteJr

• 1 month later...
54 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Base looks great ! Signed and dated ?

Taper each stave before cutting the birds mouth ? What did you use to clamp up the column when you glued it ?

To do the glue-up I assembled the column without glue then wrapped 5 bands of wide blue painters tape around the perimeter.  Then I opened the column and laid it down on the bench with the tape holding the staves in place.  Picture a tambour door laid flat.  After applying glue to the edges of the staves with a small brush I rolled the staves into a column and secured it with the clamps.  Perhaps there is a better way to apply the glue.  By the time I applied glue to all the edges I was approaching the recommended open time.  I used one corner clamp in the center of the column (8 jaws total, one applying pressure against each stave) and band clamps near each end.  The birds mouth joint is self centering and facilitates aligning the staves.

Actually I'm not sure how to make a tapered column with the birds mouth bit.  I've seen pictures of tapered columns and they have a graceful/elegant look so I'd like to incorporate it into the next table.

Sign and dated it is!

corner clamp.jpg

band clamp.jpg