CNC router build

difalkner

Nice work, David! Are you planning to stay with F360 or are you looking at other software? I have not worked with F360 much at all, but I have lots of experience with EnRoute and some with Vectric products like VCarve and Aspire. Those packages (depending on the level) will really simplify that type of work and add a bunch of features that you would probably find really handy. Vectric has trial downloads. Both have multiple levels depending on your needs. 

For instance, if you want to inlay a logo into a headstock with an ebony veneered face using mother of pearl, the negative and positive first need to be cut using the same tool. In those packages you simply tell it that you're doing an inlay (on both toolpaths, male and female) and give it an offset gap, say .005". the software automatically compensates for the internal and external tool radii by clipping of the "horns" off of the outside pieces to match the radius of corresponding inside cuts.

Both packages are very user friendly - much more so than F360, IMO.

• Like 1

Right now I plan on sticking with F360 even though it is a bit cumbersome to do some things, Micks.  EnRoute is seriously out of my price range unless I get more business than I know what to do with in the next 6 months or so.  Aspire would be about the most I would spend but not any time soon.  I might go V-Carve Pro at some point soon, though, and I understand if I upgrade to Aspire they credit what I spent on V-Carve Pro (that's a good thing!)

F360 is getting easier for me but it won't ever be like one of these other programs, or at least doesn't appear to be heading that way.

• 5 months later...

This isn't much of a task but it needed to be done and today was a good day for me to do this, so I shot a video to post as well. The grid is a simple light cut into the spoilboard and is 1" spacing up to 12" and 3" spacing after that. I also cut some reference marks to help with placement of the work piece on the spoilboard.

• Like 1