CNC router build

difalkner

In all

4 hours ago, Tom Cancelleri said:

I'll say it again, but I can't wait to see it in action. You have any idea what your first cut is gonna be? I say do something fairly big for speed purposes. See how fast it is truly is with that beefy spindle and those NEMA 34s

My first 'cuts' will be in the air - LOL!  In all seriousness the first real cut will likely be just surfacing the spoil board and I'll probably do that at a variety of speeds.  I have sooooo many projects I want to get to but the next big hurdle for me is reacquainting myself with Fusion 360 and deciding whether I want to get one of the Vectric products, like VCarve Pro.

4 minutes ago, difalkner said:

In all

My first 'cuts' will be in the air - LOL!  In all seriousness the first real cut will likely be just surfacing the spoil board and I'll probably do that at a variety of speeds.  I have sooooo many projects I want to get to but the next big hurdle for me is reacquainting myself with Fusion 360 and deciding whether I want to get one of the Vectric products, like VCarve Pro.

I've been mucking around in Fusion 360 for the last 2 weeks. It's not that difficult to use, and seems really powerful. 

• Like 1

Well, I finally made it to the switches for the door of the enclosure so I took my CorelDRAW file and headed over to my favorite laser shop, Bud's Trophy Case in Bossier City.  They do excellent work and are so easy to work with - it's always a fun visit!  I needed three switch plates cut and one label for the spindle hour meter.  It took all of 10 minutes from loading the file to holding the finished items in my hand.  There are a lot more things I could add to the door but for now this will work just fine.

If you've never seen a laser running then you'll enjoy the short video.

Next will be mounting the door and then wiring the switches.  More later!!

066%20-%20Switches%20mounted_zps7bvidwhx 

1 minute ago, Tom Cancelleri said:

I've been mucking around in Fusion 360 for the last 2 weeks. It's not that difficult to use, and seems really powerful. 

Earlier this year I downloaded about 10 different CAD programs and worked through each of them.  I kept going back to Fusion 360 not only because I liked it but because of the price point.  Hard to beat free!  But then I settled into getting back to working on my guitar builds and then building this CNC so I haven't touched Fusion 360 in about 4 months.  I'm sure it will come back to me.

• Like 1

Today I spent all morning tilling up the flower beds and then early afternoon doing some video editing for a friend starting his YouTube channel with a song he performed; not so much time on the CNC build.  But the EMI filters came in so I did manage to get those mounted and the load side wired.  The upper filter is 120V and the lower filter is 240V.  Everything will be labeled when I finish the wiring.  Still have to mount the panel into the enclosure and wire the steppers, spindle, water pump, fans, etc.

067%20-%20EMI%20filters%20added_zps7b0nh

• Like 1

Today I ran some ground wires on the panel, set the panel into the enclosure (still need to bolt it to the enclosure cabinet, hope I don't forget that little step), finalized how I am going to run the shielded cable to the stepper drivers, and managed to get the Z axis cable run before shutting down tonight.  The biggest thing accomplished today was getting with the Hitachi dealer technician to verify the shielded cable connections to the VFD to take advantage of Modbus for controlling the spindle.

More to come - thanks for following along!

David

Because I can't use the 'Insert other media from URL' I'm just guessing where the photos will end up for me to comment on them, so here are the comments for the photos -

Stepper driver end of the cable -

068 - Stepper driver wiring.JPG

Connector end with shrink wrapped protection -

069 - Stepper driver wiring.JPG

Cable run from side panel to Z axis stepper driver; the shield clamp is homemade from a 4-fuse block but works great to provide ground for the shield.  I still need to run a bunch more of these cables/connectors for the other drivers and the proximity sensors, water pump, fans, etc. -

070 - Stepper driver wiring.JPG

• Like 1

It was time to begin running wires from the door panel switches to the main panel in the enclosure so I ran a few and then tested to see how they would react when the door is opened and closed.  The wires will be encapsulated in black plastic mesh that should adequately protect them from rubbing anything.  I don't plan on opening the door often, though, so it's probably not as critical as some other pieces of the puzzle.

Here's a quick shot of the enclosure with the door attached and a couple of switches wired to the EMI filters -

073 - Testing wire locations from door.JPG

And here's a short but high action video of me closing the door - exciting stuff!!

I didn't get to spend much time on the build today but did manage to get the bottom fan mounted.  Also, a new 8-channel relay board came in so now I need to figure out where and how I'll mount that, may have to pull the panel back out to keep from getting shavings inside the box and next to conductors - I don't want any surprises when I power this up for real!

Bottom of the enclosure, fan guard, I'll probably build a small frame to put a finer filter over the inlet.  This screen will not stop dust -

074 - Bottom fan mounted.JPG

Looking at it from the inside, again I still am not finished with the wiring so lots of loose wires in there -

075 - Bottom fan mounted.JPG

It only took about 20 minutes to disconnect everything and get the panel out so it wasn't too bad at all.  I'm really glad I took it out to drill and tap the holes; this would have been a mess inside the box.  I shot a short video showing the testing of the 8-channel board and one proximity sensor.  Now I have to build a bracket for the 4-channel board and make sure it's out of the way of everything else. 

Using my analog meter, to me anyway, is so much easier to see open/close for continuity because the needle swing is just very obvious.  With a digital meter I have to take my eyes off of what I'm working on and wait to see where the digits end up after a second but with my peripheral vision I can see the needle swing on the analog meter.

Anyway, now I have to finish the 4-channel relay bracket and then mount this back inside the box and then keep plugging away.

It may look like a simple task but this took about 4 hours total to accomplish; had to undo all the stepper driver wires and wires from the door (that I have yet to put back into place so make that 4.5 hours), take the VFD out (that I have yet to put back into place so make that 5 hours), take the panel out, drill & tap for the 8-channel relay, design and make the bracket for the 4-channel relay, drill & tap for that to mount, then mount everything making certain to use thread locker so all this stuff stays in place, and then run most of the wires back to their respective destinations.

Some of y'all could do this in way less time, I know, I know...

4-channel relay bracket -

076 - 4-channel relay bracket.jpg

New location for 4-channel relay almost looks like it was designed this way all along, well if you squint when you look at it maybe -

077 - 8-channel, 4-channel relays in place.jpg

3 minutes ago, Tom Cancelleri said:

Are the green jumper wires to reverse the direction of the second stepper motor for each axis?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

No sir, those are the ground wires back to the Ethernet Smoothstepper.  Look at the second photo I just posted and you'll see the ESS in the bottom right and all the purple/orange wires in the gray terminal strip.  On the right side there's one green wire and that goes to all those stepper drivers.

• Like 1

Thanks, Tom!

I thought with all the soldering I'm doing on this CNC build and have done through the years, coupled with some friends who've told me they have issues with soldering, that I would do a Public Service Video. Disclaimer - I am not claiming to be an expert or in any way 'the' soldering guru nor have I covered every facet of soldering but I have been doing a good job at it for over 40 years so with that out of the way, here's my slightly over 9 minute video. I hope this helps any who may have issues with this little task. Kudos to you for watching the entire video!

Thanks, Tom!

I thought with all the soldering I'm doing on this CNC build and have done through the years, coupled with some friends who've told me they have issues with soldering, that I would do a Public Service Video. Disclaimer - I am not claiming to be an expert or in any way 'the' soldering guru nor have I covered every facet of soldering but I have been doing a good job at it for over 40 years so with that out of the way, here's my slightly over 9 minute video. I hope this helps any who may have issues with this little task. Kudos to you for watching the entire video!

The key to soldering electrical is flux and a clean tip. If the tip isn't clean and properly tinned the transfer of heat will be off and you'll likely overheat your board and connections risking separation of the traces or layers of the board. Also using the right solder thickness for the iron wattage. I'd say I'm a pro with soldering. I've done surface level component replacement. Your wiring and everything looks fantastic.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like 1