Friendly Woodworkers

I think of it this way: I can teach you English grammar and mechanics. I can teach you story structure and what has made great stories great, and how great writers have honed their craft. I can help you learn to analyze and dissect a story. I can teach you how to type, format a page and all the technical details in the world. I can teach you about diction, mood, tone and theme. However, after I set you in front of a typewriter or computer, it's up to you to hammer out the next classic. Chances are, that won't happen. Armed with all the technical prowess in the world, I am still no threat to an artist.

Like anything else, writing takes practice. Many classics are truly collaborations with editors and publishers. Many early works are less than stellar. Most of us miss how valuable customer feedback is. Many masters don't just practice, they recieve feedback and make changes. Customer feedback is a powerful motivator. It is those who cannot make change and adjust who cannot master things. I think many people could make that level of high boy, but it would take years or decades for many. What makes this stunning is that he can do it at a "reasonable" pace. I doubt they will post any mistakes he might make  ?

Design is a little different. Some can copy at a high level but never innovate. That is one reason I follow Mike S (mds). The innovation from him and others here is what I sometimes envy. 

Keep an eye on D and W. The sculpted pie table in a magnificent crotch board is coming...