Vise Recommendation?

alaporte

Like the answer to all non-religious woodworking debates, this answer is "It depends"

Mostly it depends on what kind of woodworking you do and what kind of bench are you building. From what I've seen lately, the most popular options seem to be a wagon vise in the end vise position and either a leg vise or double-screw vise in the face vise position.

Those can be a little pricy, so you see a lot of quick release in vises in both positions on many benches.

Chris Schwarz's first workbench book had an entire chapter devoted to choosing your vises based on what type of tasks you do.

Regardless of what setup you choose, you should make sure that your bench can hold boards in such a way that you can work on the face, edge, and end of a board easily.

Hi Andy,

Schwarz's book is good on the subject and definitely worth the read. For me, my dream set-up would be a quick-release patternmaker's vise and a quick-release tail vise. I like manual disengage vises (as opposed to the type where you turn the handle backwards and it automatically disengages). Some use a lever, others use a foot pedal or "button"

I have a Jorgensen quick release vise that I like very much. They make it in two different sizes. You can also just buy the vise hardware from places like Lee Valley and make your own face. That Lee Valley link is jsut a link to many different kinds of vises, but it should give you a good idea of the different types available.