Scraper -vs- Smoother Plane -vs- Jack

snider.mark@gmail.co

Just curious what a scraper plane will do for me that a Low angle jack and a low angle smoother won't do. The scraper is on my list but it keeps getting moved lower on the list due to my lack of knowledge. My current list has both left and right hand LN Skew Block Planes, followed by the Low Angle Jack Plane, Low Angle Jointer, Low Angle Smoother, and then the Cabinet Maker's Scraper.

Regards,

Mark

Just curious what a scraper plane will do for me that a Low angle jack and a low angle smoother won't do. The scraper is on my list but it keeps getting moved lower on the list due to my lack of knowledge. My current list has both left and right hand LN Skew Block Planes, followed by the Low Angle Jack Plane, Low Angle Jointer, Low Angle Smoother, and then the Cabinet Maker's Scraper.

Regards,

Mark

I actually like my No. 80 cabinet scraper better than my scraper plane. But, to defend my scraper plane, I need to tune it up and I have 5 blades for the No. 80 all tuned. Well, now four are tuned and one needs it.

I actually like my No. 80 cabinet scraper better than my scraper plane. But, to defend my scraper plane, I need to tune it up and I have 5 blades for the No. 80 all tuned. Well, now four are tuned and one needs it.

Hey Vic,

What brand is your #80 cabinet scraper?

Hey Vic,

What brand is your #80 cabinet scraper?

It's a newer Stanley. I think they've been discontinued. I believe I bought mine from Lee Valley, or maybe Woodcraft. The sole was horrible out of the box. But, after some flattening, it works great. I can take whisper thin shavings.

My current list has both left and right hand LN Skew Block Planes, followed by the Low Angle Jack Plane, Low Angle Jointer, Low Angle Smoother, and then the Cabinet Maker's Scraper.

Regards,

Mark

The LN skew block planes seem like a very specialized tool one that would not get a lot of use especially the left handed one. I would think that you accomplish almost all the tasks that a skew plane can do with a rabbet block plane. You could also get a 50 degree blade for your jack and use it like a scraper plane but the angle would not be as high as a traditional scraper plane. I guess it really depends on what planes you have now. the skew block planes were not on my initial list of planes nor was a Scraper plane.

I recently bought a bunch of planes myself to start off in hand tool work I have LV Jointer, LV LA Jack, LV smoother, LV router, and LN Scrub plane. Have fun and good luck.

It's a newer Stanley. I think they've been discontinued. I believe I bought mine from Lee Valley, or maybe Woodcraft. The sole was horrible out of the box. But, after some flattening, it works great. I can take whisper thin shavings.

I think they may still make them in England. Woodcraft has the WoodRiver one which is fairly economically priced and is I believe a direct copy of the Stanley #80. For stuff like that though I find eBay to be a good source. 80's aren't that complex so they're easy to clean up and they're generally fairly cheap (unlike the #112 scraper plane which often goes for more on eBay than a brand new Veritas scraper plane).

I quite like the #80 as well, I'm also in the process of restoring an #81 (really all I need to do is make a new bottom for it).

As for reaching for it or a scraper plane, they're good when you have mixed grain directions, especially with figured woods. The higher cutting angles won't tearout nearly as much as a smoothing plane will. They're also good for minor things like removing glue residue. I expect they're handy for refinishing tasks too but haven't had much call for that since I got one.

The LN skew block planes seem like a very specialized tool one that would not get a lot of use especially the left handed one. I would think that you accomplish almost all the tasks that a skew plane can do with a rabbet block plane.

I deliberated over the left and right skew block planes for a long while. I opted for them insted of an adjustable mouth block and a rabbit after watching the video for the skew on LN's YouTube site. I don't have any experience with planes so I am still a bit hesitant on this decision. I am planning on asking for the right handed one for my Birthday in 1.5 months!

Regards,

Mark

If you can make it to one, Lie-Nielson does tool shows all over the country where you can try out all their tools and talk to the experts that make and use them. The events are "free" (good luck walking out without buying anything) and I had a great time. I'm relatively new to hand tools as well...the guys from LN recommended starting out with the LA Jack--it is really versatile and can be used for most operations with the proper blades. There is a great article in FWW by Chris Becksvort endorsing/explaining this. The LN set runs about $500, but as the article explains, it can combine several tools into one. Sure, the specialized planes can do a better job with their special assignments, but the jack was a great intro for me. After nearly a year of steady use, I added the adjustable mouth block plane for chamfers and smaller pieces. Next is probably a shoulder or rabbeting plane for tenons.

Mark and others,

I like the scraper planes better than the #80 cabinet scrapers. I find them easier to hold and easier to use. Set-up of either is simple. Unless you do a lot of work with really figured work such as waterfall bubinga or burls, you can probably get by with card scrapers. By the way, a toothed blade in a hand plane is a great accessory to a scraper plane. The combo makes smooth, tearout-free surfaces easy!