New Member Building A New Shop

Jim Frye

I wish building code required what you guys are specifying.  Builders here can parge the concrete exterior, wrap it in foundation wrap, and then backfill.  Then they simply nail a roll of fiberglass /poly onto the inside concrete wall.

If I had my way, id love to have a foam insulated foundation.

• Like 1

Some builders around here don't use the exterior foam board, but rather stud and insulate the entire basement.  Their selling point is that it's cheaper to then finish the basement as a living space.  The problem is it covers any potential water infiltration in the early life span of the basement.  The exterior foam board also protects the sealant applied to the exterior of the basement when it is back filled with gravel for drainage.  Local code here requires a sump pump in the basement connected to the drain system around the base (footings) of the basement walls.  Our sump pump cycles, even in the driest of seasons.  If the exterior sealant were compromised, we'd likely see dampness on the walls somewhere. 

9 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Being from a place without basements (and they would be 2' below sea level if we did), why do you guys have them? If for storage, it would seem that above grade would be cheaper?

It is half of my living space. With no heat venting into the space it is still above 50° when outside is -20°. With no air in the house it is about 70° even with outside at around 97°. The water heater, furnace, and shallow well pump for irrigation are all down there. The dogs are kenneled there during gatherings. When you figure 1,500 square feet liveable with negligible cost increase for conditioning that is a factor. The biggest factor is that footings are coded below 48". I expect to see codes shift deeper after the last several winters. Once you foot that deep, a few more feet gets that basement space. 

Some people build on slabs, but normally only if the home is very close to the water.

Basements allow a lot of extra living space, and if your digging a big hole anyways...

No need for a sump here, all water and snow melt is drained to city storm drain or dissipates naturally.

Basement also houses the furnace, hwh, power panel, etc so they don't take up living space on your main level.

A key to a nice basement is big windows, and dry.

14 hours ago, K Cooper said:

why do you guys have them? If for storage, it would seem that above grade would be cheaper?

its a twister Auntie Em!! and its a great place to put a man-fort in, and someplace for the kids and grandkids to hang out, extra bedrooms, we lived in Kansas for a time and had a storm shelter and used it once or twice