plumbing question

Eric.

So he misled you...simple as that. He gave you an hourly rate and charged you for more hours than he worked. He can hide an extra hour for running around but that's 5 hours not 10 that he based his "estimated time" on. You have legit grounds for negotiation. You can't pay more than the price he gave you and then complain. 

By the way. Whenever you get an hourly rate, that is T&M. Time and material. You don't give an hourly rate and then change it to a flat contract price later. Once he said his hourly rate...that's that. Otherwise it's a contract job and a pre determined fee meaning hourly rate isn't mentioned.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Janello said:

By the way. Whenever you get an hourly rate, that is T&M. Time and material. You don't give an hourly rate and then change it to a flat contract price later. Once he said his hourly rate...that's that. Otherwise it's a contract job and a pre determined fee meaning hourly rate isn't mentioned.

Yeah I agree.  I can't remember how exactly the conversation went (on the phone) but I remember he was trying to justify his shocking $1000 quote, so he said something like...

"We charge $80 per hour.  So $200 for each toilet, and $150 for each shower and sink."

That adds up to a grand, and not knowing how long each one takes, I agreed.  When they had 5/6 of the work done in three hours, you bet your ass I felt like his quote was way too high.

I was still okay with paying him the full amount I agreed paying...because I agreed...but now that there's more work to be done, I don't think I should have to fork over even more dough.  Agreed?

7 minutes ago, Eric. said:

Yeah I agree.  I can't remember how exactly the conversation went (on the phone) but I remember he was trying to justify his shocking quote $1000 quote, so he said something like...

"We charge $80 per hour.  So $200 for each toilet, and $150 for each shower and sink."

That adds up to a grand, and not knowing how long each one takes, I agreed.  When they had 5/6 of the work done in three hours, you bet your ass I felt like his quote was way too high.

I was still okay with paying him the full amount I agreed paying...because I agreed...but now that there's more work to be done, I don't think I should have to fork over even more dough.  Agreed?

He gave you an hourly rate. I don't give a rats ass what he said after that. You owe him 5 hours 80/hr. If you pay more he will giggle. Square up for that job and get a new quote for the piping. Contract not hourly. 

Just send the check for 5 hours and when you get a call tell him i paid you what you said per hour for the hours you worked. Done. 

• Like 2