plumbing question

Eric.

41 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

If I could like this a dozen times, I would. Those that are not in business for themselves, or are and have no overhead or employees, should try it for a couple of months. Product liability, work comp, auto and building insurance, all have to be paid, for Saturdays and Sundays, when invoices are not written and employees don't work. And the list goes on! You mentioned social security but not medicare. Does the average Joe know that his employer matches those? Sorry, this just coincided on a Friday, which is bill paying day:(

I get all of this and understand overhead.  I'm technically a small business owner myself, unconventional as it may be.

But if you gotta charge someone $250/hr for basic construction services, you're either screwing people dispassionately or you need to change your business model if that's your standard rate.  This kind of pricing goes well beyond simply "covering overhead."  It's price gouging.

Some may call me a hypocrite, those who know my business.  To them I say "touche," with the caveat that I don't offer basic human services, rather goods that are of a frivolous nature.  Hardly necessities.  Splitting hairs, perhaps.  I'm just frustrated.

3 minutes ago, C Shaffer said:

If he bills you for a day, and spends half a day plus, pay the day. You are paying for him to not rush. 

He billed me for 12.5 hours and will spend approximately 4.  That's not even a third.

3 minutes ago, krtwood said:

It sounds like he will have been to your house three times when the job is done.  How far away is he coming from?  The time he's in the truck getting to you and back has to get covered either in the hourly rate or the hours billed.

Nah, that's his problem.  I don't know where he's coming from.

• Like 1

Don't forget if he brought a helper you're paying for the hours times 2.  Man hours and hours are not equal.  If my boss and I are both in a meeting with a client you're getting billed for both of our time, although most of our work is based on a contract and if we go over on time we lose. 

If plumbers could just walk in and throw a toilet in and charge $250 then go home and play xbox I would agree with Eric. The reality is they are married to the business and spend hours paying bills and doing books..repairing and purchasing tools, running for materials, scheduling jobs. List goes on and on. Not to mention running out on holidays and weekends when mrs Jones water heater is leaking. It's heavy lifting, hot sweaty dirty work that includes damp basements and hot attics. If it was that glamerous i wouldn't have stopped doing it and found a real job.

1 minute ago, Janello said:

If plumbers could just walk in and throw a toilet in and charge $250 then go home and play xbox I would agree with Eric. The reality is they are married to the business and spend hours paying bills and doing books..repairing and purchasing tools, running for materials, scheduling jobs. List goes on and on. Not to mention running out on holidays and weekends when mrs Jones water heater is leaking. It's heavy lifting, hot sweaty dirty work that includes damp basements and hot attics. If it was that glamerous i wouldn't have stopped doing it and found a real job.

Sounds like a lot of jobs out there that don't charge those kinds of prices..  

• Like 2

Military...volunteer and government paid. Thats not a job...that's an adventure. 

Cop..  retires after 20 years service Full pension and bennies. Plus gets paid holidays and vacation. Overtime and free food!

Nurse.. not the same...while they pull call they still go home after a shift. They aren't married to the job 24/7

My point is that those professions are not self sustained. There is no investment other than showing up...doing your job and punching out.

Just now, Janello said:

Military...volunteer and government paid. Thats not a job...that's an adventure. 

Cop..  retires after 20 years service Full pension and bennies. Plus gets paid holidays and vacation. Overtime and free food!

Nurse.. not the same...while they pull call they still go home after a shift. They aren't married to the job 24/7

I disagree with 90% of your statements and won't diminish their career choices that way as I've worked in those fields. This isn't the thread to argue it in.

5 minutes ago, TIODS said:

I disagree with 90% of your statements and won't diminish their career choices that way as I've worked in those fields. This isn't the thread to argue it in.

Ironically...this is exactly how I felt when people said plumbers rape people or don't earn their money. 

4 minutes ago, Janello said:

Ironically...this is exactly how I felt when people said plumbers rape people or don't earn their money. 

I never said that, I said they over charge for the work that they do.  And I stick by that statement.

2 minutes ago, TIODS said:

I never said that, I said they over charge for the work that they do.  And I stick by that statement.

We can agree to disagree. But I just thought of something funny since you mentioned nurse. Ever see an ER bill ? I'm exagerating but you know how it is. 200 bucks for gauze pads. :lol:

3 minutes ago, Janello said:

We can agree to disagree. But I just thought of something funny since you mentioned nurse. Ever see an ER bill ? I'm exagerating but you know how it is. 200 bucks for gauze pads. :lol:

You only have a point if plumbers are secretly doing work for people that can't pay for it. 

33 minutes ago, Janello said:

Name one that requires that knowledge and skillset. Other than electrician.

How much did maloof charge for a rocker? Was he a crook?

He wasn't making $250/hour until his later years when he was uber-famous, I can guarantee you that.

1 minute ago, Janello said:

That's how normal people feel about plumber's bills. :D

Here's one...teachers.  They go to school for 4-8 years, have one of the hardest jobs on the planet, get paid squat and are given no respect by the parents or society as a whole.  And their job is far more important than soldering some pipes together in someone's basement.

Justify that one, buttcrack boy! LOL

• Like 2