plumbing question

Eric.

The Tee is wrong.  Wrong wrong wrong. The vent thing depends on which code your local follows. Some require full stack all the way up. Some allow reduction to half the diameter of the largest drop in the structure. Four inch mains could penetrate the roof at two inches. 

Just now, C Shaffer said:

The Tee is wrong.  Wrong wrong wrong. 

And it should be like....?

Also, keep in mind this problem didn't exist before the new toilets.

So I guess you're saying that because they were the slow flushing old ones, compared to the jet blast new ones...that's the difference?

Low flow toilets need to void more quickly with less water to carry the solids. A Wye takes the fluid and directs it down so it will not flow straight across into the other toilets discharge pipe. 

PS, it was wrong before. Just not problematic. 

Is that venting coming toward the camera out of the top of the Tee?

6 minutes ago, C Shaffer said:

Low flow toilets need to void more quickly with less water to carry the solids. A Wye takes the fluid and directs it down so it will not flow straight across into the other toilets discharge pipe. 

PS, it was wrong before. Just not problematic. 

Is that venting coming toward the camera out of the top of the Tee?

That makes sense and jibes with what I read on that forum.

No, the vent does not come directly off the tee.  Rather, it comes off another wye which connects the master bedroom shower to the stack.

It shouldn't be a ridiculously expensive or time consuming fix.  PVC is cheap and it glues together.  He did not install the original work and should not upgrade it to current standards for free.  Pay the man.  

2 minutes ago, Mike. said:

He did not install the original work and should not upgrade it to current standards for free.  Pay the man.  

I don't install anywhere without digging. I would assume that my plumber friends would have flagged such a thing and would be able to forecast with me. Shame on me if I turn the work down. Shame on him if he cannot work you into the schedule. Yes pay for both. 

6 minutes ago, Immortan D said:

Also consider possible clogging issues. After months of inactivity, without the water flowing, chit happens. 

2 minutes ago, Woodenskye said:

I'm so late to this thread, I don't have much to add, but maybe the problem is with that funky diet and you need more debatable dairy! :D

Hmm..  Perhaps I should combine these two posts ;)

New toilets requirements didn't meet your existing conditions. So fixing your old pipes wouldn't be included if all he originally quoted was just swapping out the toilets.  However the fact that he didn't know about the wye vs tee issue is troubling. 2"vent seems way too small.

8 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

However the fact that he didn't know about the wye vs tee issue is troubling.

Yeah I totally agree.  Or didn't think it was important enough to bring it up.  Like I wouldn't care or something.  I call it the "screw it" factor, and it doesn't fly in my house.

I swear, I've had to have every single contractor come back and fix something they neglected to do properly the first time they were here.  And they give me this attitude as if it's not my right to expect the work to be done correctly.

"Who does this guy think he is calling us out on our shoddy workmanship?!!?  No one else ever says anything!!!"

Disgusting.  Ptooey, I spit on the ground at their feet.

I don't know how that ever passed an inspection.  I am a plumber, and I've never seen a 2" vent used for a toilet (never even checked code to see if it's allowed), much less into a mess like that.  Plumbing venting, and insulation are two things that I've never worried about meeting code minimums though.

How long is the horizontal run of the 2" that we can't see, and is anything dumped into it beyond what we can see?

1 hour ago, Eric. said:

I call it the "screw it" factor, and it doesn't fly in my house.

I swear, I've had to have every single contractor come back and fix something they neglected to do properly the first time they were here.  And they give me this attitude as if it's not my right to expect the work to be done correctly.

This is the issue with most subs. None of them can see past the end of their nose. The do what they are paid to do in robotic fashion and nothing more. They never think of the next sub that comes in after them either. The lack of care and pride drives me nuts. I have great subs but some still really piss me off. Mostly plumbers, they are the worst. 

The more I think about this, the more I think this is a big mess. I hear you Tom and agree. I am merely referencing some allowances I have seen. There is a vent free allowance for toilets provided that they are no more than six feet from a vented sink tie in. I think there are some stipulations. But, two toilets into the same stack likely makes that something that is not allowed. Some locals won't allow even that. I try very hard even in remodel work to have no question. I woul try to vent very close to that drop. I think the right Wye would allow that to happen if you can rout to the vent. 

1 hour ago, Tom King said:

How long is the horizontal run of the 2" that we can't see, and is anything dumped into it beyond what we can see?

The run is about 18" from the wye to the trap.  Nothing else dumps into it.

Is the stack itself vented straight up through the wall that separates the two toilets?  There's a 4" pipe that goes straight up at the top middle of the tee but I have no idea what it is or where it goes.

All this plumbing crap is way over my head.  Frankly, as long as my fixtures work right and I don't smell stink...I don't really care.

2 minutes ago, C Shaffer said:

@Eric. If there is no bathroom a floor above, that 4" is likely your vent. With that in place, that leaves you back at water from one toilet shooting past the Tee. 

Right on, that makes more sense.  (It's a ranch, no floor above.)

Except now...why the additional 2" vent?  I don't get plumbing.

What's that 2" trap under that goes into the horizontal run right there too?  I would take both toilets out, and redo everything dropping into the main drain.  I would blame the inspector that passed it to start with as much as the jackleg plumber who installed it.

This is why I started doing everything myself in 1975, after getting subs to do it my starting year the year before.  I haven't called a sub since 1974, except for installing HVAC equipment.  I didn't do that because you know it's going to play out at some point, and I didn't want to be the one getting the call to fix it.  I never had a callback on anything else I did build, which included everything in the houses I sold except for the HVAC equipment, from the footings to the roof.

• Like 1