Bar Clamps-What do you use?

tim0625

Check out the woodwhisperer's video #12 The Big Squeeze. he highly recommended the Jet parallel clamps, and made such a convincing argument for them that i ordered 4 - 40inchers to kick off my clamp collection. when they get here ill let you know how i like them. i got mine from peach tree. they have a deal that ends tonight if you spend $75 yo get $25 off. so i made 2 seprate orders and should have some clamps by the end of the week. if you want that deal you have to enter end10 in the discount box at checkout. but hurrly like i said i believe it ends tonight

i hope that helps

john

I have a mish mash of bar clamps. I want to pick a brand and style and invest...once. Jorgensen cabinet master? Bessey K body? What have you used and what do you prefer and why? Also, please give suggestions on best place to purchase.

Thanks

I have about a dozen of each length of Bessey and Jet bar clamps and hands down I like the Jet better. Wider jaws, better grips, deeper reach, easier to slide and it goes on. I promise you won't be sorry if you choose them.

Dave

I rewatched episode 12 and Marc talked about sales that Rockler or Amazon would have. What is a good price for various lengths? IE, how do I know I'm getting a good deal? I'm interested in the Jet clamps as well based on what Marc said.

I see that Amazon has a Jet door set that includes two 40" and two 24" clamps for $170 (http://www.amazon.com/Jet-70411-Parallel-Clamp-Cabinet/dp/B000F79022/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1294020518&sr=1-1). Is that a good price?

Seems like those would be some good lengths to start with. But I gotta say, the price on these type of clamps is pretty high.I hope there are some good sales on these things!

I personally think that if you are looking for your best bang for your buck, I would go with the Jorgensen Cabinet Masters. I read a review of parallel clamps on the FWW website a while back and they were rated pretty high. I have a bunch of them and really like them. The only other clamp that I would get would be the Jets.

For parallel-jaw clamps I have the Jorgys, I pick them up one or two at time at the Big Ernge where they're cheaper than Amazon(surprisingly) except for the 24" version. And cheaper than the Jets and Besseys, too.

For F-clamps I have a tool cabinet drawer full of misc. Jorgys in 6,12, and18" with a few of the old Klemmsias and a handful of the Irwin quick-grips.

Another cabinet drawer is full of C-clamps, edging clamps, band clamps, spring clamps and anything that that'll hold two pieces of something together. Like you said, "a mishmash" of clamps accumulated over the years that worked well enough to avoid getting pitched in the round file.

Just what's working for me,

Bill

For parallel-jaw clamps I have the Jorgys, I pick them up one or two at time at the Big Ernge where they're cheaper than Amazon(surprisingly) except for the 24" version. And cheaper than the Jets and Besseys, too.

Good call on HD. $40 for 48" clamps isn't bad. I can swing by USPS, grab a moving packet with a 10% lowes coupon (which HD will accept) and use that on some clamps. I priced it out and it would be about $140 after tax for two 48" clamps and two 24" clamps. That's $30 cheaper than the Jet set on Amazon with slightly longer clamps (48" vs 40"). The Jet set comes with framing blocks and bench dogs, but I don't know if I'd miss those. That $30 is like a free clamp though!

In Marc's video, he talked about Amazon or Rockler having good sales on bar clamps, but I haven't seen any myself (though I haven't been monitoring much).

Can anyone comment on those sales (how often and how much)?

I have 4 of the Bessey's that I got a long time ago and I do really like them, that being said the Jet's seem to be nicer. I also have a bunch of pipe clamps that work great as well. I like the parallel jaw clamps for glue ups like doors but honestly as long as you have good jointery it doesn't matter too much. The nice thing about pipe clamps it is easy to build up a collection for a cheaper price and they do the job just fine.

Nate

• 2 weeks later...

I have a mish mash of bar clamps. I want to pick a brand and style and invest...once. Jorgensen cabinet master? Bessey K body? What have you used and what do you prefer and why? Also, please give suggestions on best place to purchase.

Thanks

There is no one style of clamps that works for all things. I use lots of wood handscrews from Harbor Freight, and vise grip style clamps from wherever. Cabinet clamps, I have orange, red and green all will do what you want. Whatever is on sale, when the need arises. I don't know why you would worry about making them all match.