What router should I get?

ssrt3

I'm looking at buying a new router soon, but don't know what to buy, I have looked at porter cable, festool, and bosh.

I want a plunge router but am poor so I don't really want to spend more than 350.00 (there goes festool) so what do you people think is the best bang for the buck.

I have the previous version of the Bosch 1617EVS and love it. Came in a kit with the plunge and fixed base. Got it for well under $350. The new re-design of that router has better cooling and a quicker way to swap bases. Even if you eventually replace it, it works well in a table.

Lots of opinions, though, and lots of good routers out there.

...or you could do like Gregory Paolini and simply buy one of each :) (check his profile pic for a visual :))

i have the bosch 1617 and like it. i also have the bosch router table to go with it. they work well together. top mount depth control, great fence with dust collection and dual plug switch so you can plug the vac in too and control them with the same switch. i would just like to get a 3+ HP router for the table.

I have a reconditioned Dewalt 618 with the plunge and fixed bases that I found for 140.00. Enough power to use in a table if you want with the fixed base or any plunge operation. Nice price at Amazon but don't use this link. Use the TWW link instead.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006JKXE/ref=s9_simh_gw_p60_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1931J5C3H29JEXDR7F8V&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

+1 on the 1617EVS

I have the previous version of the Bosch 1617EVS and love it. Came in a kit with the plunge and fixed base. Got it for well under $350. The new re-design of that router has better cooling and a quicker way to swap bases. Even if you eventually replace it, it works well in a table.

I'm looking at buying a new router soon, but don't know what to buy, I have looked at porter cable, festool, and bosh.

I want a plunge router but am poor so I don't really want to spend more than 350.00 (there goes festool) so what do you people think is the best bang for the buck.

I have the Dewalt with the combo kit/plunge base. It's a tank, and I've never regretted the purchase.

I started with a Dewalt 618 (still have and use it) but my latest buy was a Triton TRC001, which I leave in my router table. I got the Triton at my local Woodworking Show last year at the Sommerfeld booth for about $275. The Triton is big (3.25 hp) and a bit heavy - ideal for the table. The Dewalt came with 3 bases (fixed, plunge, and D-handle) with a great case and is ideal for portable use, but would work in a table. If I had to do it again, I would again get the Dewalt first and get the bigger one later.

Too bad you can't squeeze the extra $ 120 for the OF 1400 from Festool. That was my first router and I loved the adjustments and ease of bit changing. Never used any other router. Good luck. I am sure there are plenty of good ones out there.

Festool quality goes beyond just the product, the service is second to none when you need parts or advice.

Depending on how much you are going to use it I'd suggest looking at the craftsman combo kit: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00917543000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1.

I picked it up to use as a dedicated dovetail router since it takes PC bushings and have been pleasantly surprised with how well it works. Plus at $120 it is hard to beat for price. You would have plenty left over for some nice bits or something.

You didn't mention what your major use for a router is, just that you want a new one(which one do you have now and what makes you think you need to replace it?) and you want a plunge router... Is this going to be your only router? Are you going to stick it in a table and expect to produce raised panels with it? Or are you mainly going to use it for edge forming or cutting shallow dadoes for shelves? Why do you think you need a plunge router? Are you going to be cutting mortises with it? Doing solid-surface work? Making molding?

Not enough info! There are crap-tons of good routers out there in your price range but which one you need depends more on your usage than your pocketbook. It's like asking "What vehicle do I get?" without saying if you commute 80 miles on the freeway every day or you need to drive 3 miles straight up a muddy mountain road in the snow and haul a trailer back down.....

FWIW, I've always had three routers: a small laminate trimmer for light edge-forming and, well, trimming laminates(although that seems to have gone the way of the buggy-whip), a medium-sized fixed base router(1 to 1-1/2 hp) with a low center-of-gravity for the most-often-performed tasks(edge-forming, shelf dadoes and rabbets, small pattern work) and a 15-amp plunge router for table use and hogging away large quantities of material. The trimmers don't seem to last long, I've replaced a couple over the years. For the other two categories, I've been using a B&D Pro 1-hp fixed-base and a Makita 3612 for at least the last 25 years. They've both had brushes replaced a couple of times but that's about all. I recently bought into the Festool system and have a 1010 and a 1400 but that was mainly for the dust collection and neither handle anywhere near as well as the B&D or the Makita. I love them for the DC and the ability to work with the guide rails but absolutely despise them for their small bases combined with the unwieldy top-handle configuration, not to mention having to hunt down 15 assorted Allen/Torx/Phillips/straight drivers(which DON'T come with the overpriced tool) to change anything on them except the bit or the depth of cut....:angry: OK, no Festool rant here, blood pressure's too high anyway....

Anyway, I guess my point is that YOU need to decide what your main usage for a router will be and plan your purchase accordingly. There's no router made that will do all the things a router can do equally well, you just need to set some priorities. Then come back and ask what router to buy...

HTH,

Bill

If it's for hand use, the best one to get is the one that feels best in YOUR hands. I personally like the Milwaukee 5615 (like the BodyGrip and build quality), and Hitachi M12VC for hand use (light and quiet). The best bang for buck tends to be the Hitachi IMO, but it depends on the current deals.

If for table use, one with variable speed and good above table features is a good start....like the Freud FT1700/FT3000, and Tritons.

You didn't mention what your major use for a router is, just that you want a new one(which one do you have now and what makes you think you need to replace it?) and you want a plunge router... Is this going to be your only router? Are you going to stick it in a table and expect to produce raised panels with it? Or are you mainly going to use it for edge forming or cutting shallow dadoes for shelves? Why do you think you need a plunge router? Are you going to be cutting mortises with it? Doing solid-surface work? Making molding?

ok your right i did not give enough info, i don't have a router now thats the reason i need advice, major use is going to be to round corner and designs for ends and flush trimming on hardwood, it will be my only router for now till i can afford a second. i don't expect it to make molding.

ok your right i did not give enough info, i don't have a router now thats the reason i need advice, major use is going to be to round corner and designs for ends and flush trimming on hardwood, it will be my only router for now till i can afford a second. i don't expect it to make molding.

That's helpful, you're looking for a good general-purpose router, not a trimmer or a table monster. There are tons of them in the under-$350 price range, almost all offering 1-3/4 to 2-1/4 HP and weighing from 8-10lb.. Plenty of power for what you'll be doing until you get to the raised-panel-door-making stage....

I'll suggest starting out with a fixed-base unit or a kit that comes with fixed and plunge bases. Plunge routers are really handy when you need one but for general edge forming and trimming you don't need the plunge and the high handles make them tippy and unstable for work where you don't have the full base on the work(like edge forming and trimming). It's easier to control a router with a low center of gravity and the grips down at the base. If you can't afford a kit, start with a fixed-base model like the Bosch 1617EV or the Porter-Cable 690 and you can add a plunge base later when you feel the need.

It's a shame no one makes a good 1HP router anymore like the old Porter-Cable 100 or the Black and Decker 7616/DeWalt 612, they're easy to handle and have plenty of power for trimming and roundovers up to 1/2" or so. Here's my old workhorse next to the Festool 1010, still running strong and throwing chips all over half the county ;) every time it's turned on:

post-1150-0-84852000-1294252953_thumb.jp

Lots of good routers available in your price range, best thing you can do is visit some tool stores and handle all the different models you can to find one that suits you.

HTH,

Bill