My First Projects

jlk4u2nv

Well these are my first woodworking projects. You can obviously tell where the inspiration came from as they are all from The Wood Whisperer. I always helped my Dad build things growing up, but nothing super fancy. I decided a few months back I would try my hand at making a few small projects. I don't have many tools so it is a challenge sometimes to figure out a different method of reaching the same end goal! No table saw so I used a circular saw to make the cutting board! A big thanks to Marc for all of the info he puts on his site to help us out!

5323456431_5b28eda776_z.jpg

A very nice collection! Don't you just love purpleheart? I really like the clock. Very well done!

Thanks Keggers! Purple heart is great! I think I got a steal on it here in San Antonio. It was basically a purple heart beam 2x12 16 feet long and it was 80 bucks! The lumber yard said they sell it to the military for use in their truck beds. Needless to say I have alot left. All of this has been a great learning experience and I can't wait to make more things!

How did you cut the keys in the clock without a TS?

Hey Ben I used a straight bit in the router and made a jig just like you would use on the table saw. I don't have a router table so I simply attached my router to a piece of plywood and clamped a straight edge on top and ran it across the bit. Worked pretty well.

That would be a funny sight.....

Picture this, A bunch of grunts pile into the back for the ride back to the barracks, after a long day of training. A few minutes into the ride someone looks down and utters what the f, why is the floor purple?

The lumber yard said they sell it to the military for use in their truck beds.

Hey Ben I used a straight bit in the router and made a jig just like you would use on the table saw. I don't have a router table so I simply attached my router to a piece of plywood and clamped a straight edge on top and ran it across the bit. Worked pretty well.

Nicely done. I can imagine it was a PITA to get setup. You are well on your way!

Nicely done. I can imagine it was a PITA to get setup. You are well on your way!

Thanks! It was definetly a pain and would have been easier with a table saw or router table, but that is part of only being 25 and starting out in a new hobby I guess! Make do with what you have!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey, impressive for what tools you have.

Thanks for the kind words! Well I did some major upgrading and now have a Saw Stop and a Powermatic Bandsaw so it is definetly going to get easier!

How did you do the snowman bowl without a bandsaw? I was thinking of making my own template, then making an identical template that is larger and using a router for the inside and outside of the bowl.

I thought about the template idea but just used a jig saw and then had to Sand FOREVER! Anxious to get my new Band Saw set up so I can make some more bowls and trays they are fun.

Howdy neighbor, I live in Austin. Great work! What's the name of the lumber yard? Purple Heart truck beds, another example of crazy government spending. I'm thinking pretreated southern yellow pine would work just fine.

Hey the place was called Buie Lumber. Here is their website.

http://www.buielumbercompany.com/services.html

It has been a while since I was there but when I got mine they had atleast 10 or 12 boards. Takes a while to use up a 2x12x16 board of purple heart!

I made an African Mahogany clock for my girlfriend and she took it to her office and a co worker wanted a larger version to hang on the wall. I am ready to move on to some other projects, but figured why not. I am happy with how it turned out. Thanks again for all the kind words. It is fun learning!

post-639-0-59716100-1301595896_thumb.jpg

• Like 1