45 degree cross cut sled question

Rex Edgar

I have a small bevel sled for making box parts.  I think this is what we are talking about more than a miter sled that might be used for picture frames, yes?  For long edge miters the squareness to the blade is fairly critical if we want things to line up well.  the longer the edge the more critical it becomes.

As mentioned, the five cut method will get you there.  More importantly is to make your fence adjustable so that it can be easily aligned.  Once the fence is square and the blade is tilted at 45 degrees, holding smaller box parts in place becomes the next item I deal with.  T-track in the bed works well but, any method of clamping will do including just hanging on if the pieces are of a size that allows the grip-stength required.  A bit of sandpaper stuck to the fence can help you avoid material 'creep' during cutting operations.

Box Sled (17).jpg

Or I may have missed the whole thing and we are talking about a sled for frame-like miters. I just use a miter gauge for this.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2016 at 5:10 AM, gee-dub said:

I have a small bevel sled for making box parts.  I think this is what we are talking about more than a miter sled that might be used for picture frames, yes?  For long edge miters the squareness to the blade is fairly critical if we want things to line up well.  the longer the edge the more critical it becomes.

As mentioned, the five cut method will get you there.  More importantly is to make your fence adjustable so that it can be easily aligned.  Once the fence is square and the blade is tilted at 45 degrees, holding smaller box parts in place becomes the next item I deal with.  T-track in the bed works well but, any method of clamping will do including just hanging on if the pieces are of a size that allows the grip-stength required.  A bit of sandpaper stuck to the fence can help you avoid material 'creep' during cutting operations.

Box Sled (17).jpg

Or I may have missed the whole thing and we are talking about a sled for frame-like miters. I just use a miter gauge for this.

That's a fine looking sled, sir. I think I'll be referencing your design when I make mine soon.