wher/what fittings for connecting rigid and dust deputy

miranthis

Got a dust deputy at an estate sale.  No hoses or fittings.  I have a rigid shop vac.  I already use the Peachtree Dust collector.  I have some new 2.5 inch dc hose and a pair of 2.5 to 2.25 inch converters from rockler.  I am going to use the DD between the existing DC and the Rigid Shop vac.  So, i have a horrible mix of connector sizes.  Ifound solutions for the DC set up, but now I need to work with the DD fittings.  The DD  1.965 IN/ 2.145 OUT.  The hose I am using is 2.5 inch dust collecton hose.  I can use a Rockler 2.5 to 2.25 converter to get it down to a difference between 2.145 outside on teh DD and then 2.275 on the inside.  Is there any avalable fitting, pvc or otherwise that can help me bridge the gap?  I suppose I could just wrap it in electrical tape until it is a snug fit.  Is that what everyone does.  

I already searched the forum, and my google-fu is not strong on this.  I also checked the Oneida site and they do not appear to sell the hose or fittings that comes with the kit, unless you buy the kit.

Jeff in KC

56 minutes ago, davestanton said:

Remember that the connections on the dust deputy are tapered so they can accommodate more than first meets the eye.

Dave speaks true.  Once I had decided on my method I cut the DD snouts back as far as was sensible to open the port size as much as I could.

Thanks guys.  the Woodworking Show will be here on the 20th so I will stock up on some fittings and adapters at Peachtree.

My HD and Lowes had fernco pvc fittings, but not the 2 inch socket to pipe ones,just the straight 2 inch to 2 inch.  In some of the bigger sizes they had socket to pipe.  

I got mine at an estate sale, loose, and it may be an off brand as it has NO taper to the ports and also no stickers or anything on it.  Now that i get to looking at it, it has no markings of any kind on it.  It was just lying in a box of miscellaneous stuff they were going to trash.

I ended up using white duct tape and adding layers to the ports until the 2.5 to 2.25 tapered Rockler fittings were a snug fit on the fittings.  All is good now I suppose, I just need to make a cart to mount both the Mini Cyclone and the "Dust Deputy" in series and figure out how I will use/connect the various hoses.  the screw end stuff looks like a winner on that front.  The big junk should drop in the mini-cyclone and the little stuff in the Dust deputy.  With just the Mini-Cyclone i get far too much dust in the Rigid filter.  

In looking more closely at the picture of gee-dub's DD i must have an off brand, cause where his spins counter clockwise, the one I got spins the dust clockwise and it is a more opaque white.

Jeff n KC

15 hours ago, miranthis said:

Got a dust deputy at an estate sale.  No hoses or fittings.  I have a rigid shop vac.  I already use the Peachtree Dust collector.  I have some new 2.5 inch dc hose and a pair of 2.5 to 2.25 inch converters from rockler.  I am going to use the DD between the existing DC and the Rigid Shop vac.  So, i have a horrible mix of connector sizes.  Ifound solutions for the DC set up, but now I need to work with the DD fittings.  The DD  1.965 IN/ 2.145 OUT.  The hose I am using is 2.5 inch dust collecton hose.  I can use a Rockler 2.5 to 2.25 converter to get it down to a difference between 2.145 outside on teh DD and then 2.275 on the inside.  Is there any avalable fitting, pvc or otherwise that can help me bridge the gap?  I suppose I could just wrap it in electrical tape until it is a snug fit.  Is that what everyone does.  

I already searched the forum, and my google-fu is not strong on this.  I also checked the Oneida site and they do not appear to sell the hose or fittings that comes with the kit, unless you buy the kit.

Jeff in KC

mY 2.5" RIGID hose fits on the thing just fine at the biggest part of the taper. However im plumbing my garage with 2" hose and have some 2.5" flexible pvc and clamps that will work even better